Collecting stones

Ashley_1988

Hi all,

I am looking to set up a second tank which I have. I would like to go with a couple of pieces of red moor wood and large, smooth stones.

On our walks during lockdown I have noticed lots of large, smooth stones which i feel would be perfect for the set up I want. My question is, am I okay to use these stones/rocks in a set up which will stock fish? If so, is there anything I need to do prior to putting them into my tank? I live near to Cannock Chase so the stones I have found are on/within the ground. I would think they will not contain any harmful substances on them as they are in a largely, untouched area.

Any advise on this would be greatly received as it will save me buying stones and allows me greater selection.

Thanks,

Ashley

Tomp91

Hi, Recently went out and did this myself and advice I found and used was, try and scratch it with something steel, if it doesn't scratch its harder than steel (not fully sure why that's a requirement) and the other test is pour vinegar on (I used apple cider vinegar) and if you don't see a reaction its inert and safe. The reaction your looking for is a slight fizz bubbling in the vinegar, i found you could hear easier than see it. I have put stones that pass these tests in my tanks and they are fine! (about 2 weeks in).

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
I have noticed lots of large, smooth stones which i feel would be perfect for the set up I want. My question is, am I okay to use these stones/rocks in a set up which will stock fish? If so, is there anything I need to do prior to putting them into my tank? I live near to Cannock Chase so the stones I have found are on/within the ground.
No you are fine to put them in, smooth just indicates that the stone is really hard, and <"hard stones are pretty much inert">, even if they are limestone.

You also have <"geology on your side">. My guess would be that you <"Bunter Sandstone Pebble-bed pebbles">.

cheers Darrel