• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Colorado - 80x45x45 Optiwhite

GreenNeedle

Long time since I've done a larger sized scape. In fact this Optiwhite has been waiting in my lounge since I bought it in April last year :) I am getting ready to finally scape it though, probably early next year when I have finalised my planting decisions.

I have got my hardscape sort of decided though and had a play and come out with the setup below. It is all the same setup from 3 differing angles. Ignore the Lava rock. I used it just to 'emulate' the height I will have in the rear of the tank. This scape will be purely Manzanita with Greenery hiding most of it apart from the 'sticky out' bits.

You'll also have to ignore the cable ties. they'll only stay there until I drill and dowel the pieces together.

IMG_0554.JPG

IMG_0555.JPG

IMG_0556.JPG

Very nicely done combining the rock and wood. It seems I can do scapes with one or the other, but when I try to combine it becomes a mess. It is probably my lack of patience in trying different configurations.

Anyways can't wait to see this one take shape.

Very nicely done combining the rock and wood. It seems I can do scapes with one or the other, but when I try to combine it becomes a mess. It is probably my lack of patience in trying different configurations.

Anyways can't wait to see this one take shape.

There won't be any rock in this scape :) It's just there to imitate the higher substrate that will be at the back :) If any rock is used it will only be to stop the wood from tilting towards the centre. like a pilon stuck to the underside but hidden within the substrate.

That top view looks fantastic andy. What are your ideas for substrate plants etc

Substrate will mainly be Akadama with the front 10cm all along being a light sand. Looks tidier at the front to me and provides a nicer contrast exposed slightly.

All the lower points will be Glosso which I will purposely let run slightly onto the sand at the front to cover up the substrate 'join'.

Other than that looking at loads of Anubias, Ferns, a couple of varieties of stems in the rear. Going to leave mosses out of this one. Then I may try a few new plants like Ammania Bonsai, HM etc along the transition. All Greens filling up loads of space with a few bits of bare wood poking through the growth. Taking some influence from Marcel Dykierek's 'Anyplace, anytime' as a sort of template without using as much height. That scape is linked below and I would say it is pretty much a tidier and better executed version of my style anyway so not pulling up any trees with this one. lol:

July 2010 Aquascape of the Month: "Anyplace... Anytime." | AquaScaping World Forum

Something like the mockup below. The brown bits are a couple of pieces I have added in because the right hand side doesn't look right once all the plants have 'grown in'. Will have to look in my box for a couple of other bits to attach.

IMG_0555_dummy.jpg

Love the hardscape, wood is really nice! I'd be tempted to keep some of the rock in there with the substrate personally, perhaps fro ma bit of fiss or a nice moss over it and go lighter on the plants attached to the wood maybe?

Be nice to see it in a tank anyway!

Been working on a basic plan of which plants I want and where. For Rhizome plants I've just marked where their rhizomes would be as if I put where their leaves will be you wouldn't see much of the rest of the plan :) A couple of 'undecideds' yet but here is the provisional plan:

IMG_0556%20plant%20list.jpg

To be honest from it's leaf structure it would look very similar to the Rotundifolia in the other side. I'll have a look around other scapes to see what it looks like in them but am thinking more of a different appearance in each corner without looking like one doesn't fit.

Very new to this and really appreciate detailed journals like this with superb pictures from all angles.

Oh and btw......want

I've added a few bits of wood to the initial arrangement because once grown in it was going to look a bit empty (IMO) in some areas. Might look a bit busy at the moment with no plants in.

I've also added in some substrate. Not all of it because I've got to stick supports in before adding more as it will just slide down. I haven't finished the light for this tank yet so just the brackets are on the tank. The cabinet is finished though :)

IMG_0715.JPG

I've added a few bits of wood to the initial arrangement because once grown in it was going to look a bit empty (IMO) in some areas. Might look a bit busy at the moment with no plants in.

I've also added in some substrate. Not all of it because I've got to stick supports in before adding more as it will just slide down. I haven't finished the light for this tank yet so just the brackets are on the tank. The cabinet is finished though :)

IMG_0715.JPG

Beautiful layout Andy. I love the raised roots on the right that create an over hang onto the substrate leading to the centre looking forward to this

Looks like the beginnings of a Tim Burton movie- looks creepy

No it didn't.............Until now so..................

After another 10 months of laziness this aquarium was left with just the substrate and hardscape until today, when I finally decided to force myself to get on with it. Motivation has been a huge problem for me over recent years due to many things as well as general finances being tight since the recession hit.

So I decided to flood the aquarium gradually a couple of weeks ago. This was so that the wood wouldn't float up. Then I left the aquarium full for a week to let the wood fully soak before draining it today right down to the foreground substrate level (and test for leaks.)

Initially I only have the 'monte carlo' and some Hydrocotyle Tripiarta to hand so I laid the monte carlo down and then planted some small groups of Tripiarta.
I am using the dry start method (DSM) for this aquascape so for the next 4 weeks it will be emersed growth.

I have the Staurogyne, Ammania and Ranunculus on order so as they arrive they will be planted and will get 3 weeks or so of the emersed period.
Once the 4 weeks are up I will attach the ferns and anubias before flooding the aquarium at which point I will plant the Rotala Rotundifolia and sp Green in the rear corners.
I have also ordered 2 pieces of 12mm thick clear acrylic to make a 'lid' for the tank. I love the open look on a tank but with a 3 year old in the house that is just too tempting for toys getting swimming lessons. The acrylic has to be thick because it does warp quite easily. The acrylic will be routed so that it rests securely on the rim of the aquarium.

The final item I need to get is a new Fire Extinguisher for CO2.

The last part of this update is that I am considering going shrimp only with this aquascape. I am thinking of letting Crystal Red Shrimp take the aquarium over which will also mean leaving the aquarium at ambient temperature. I might get some coldwater fish to go in with them but haven't decided on that yet.
I will post up an update after each plant arrives and is planted.

IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_0997.JPG

I not only have to fight a lack of motivation to keep on top of this aquarium. I also have to fight my way past a 40kg greyhound!!! His name is Louis and doesn't like being disturbed from his all day sleep.

IMG_0998.JPG

IMG_1000.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0991.JPG

ha ha that's one big dog! He'll be able to get a drink from your tank with those legs ;) I must say that your preparation and forethought in your project clearly shine through and it looks amazing already.
What carpet did you go with in the end? The LED you made looks really bright! Cant wait to see it finished it will be a master piece.

ha ha that's one big dog! He'll be able to get a drink from your tank with those legs ;)
It will have a 'child toy stopper' on the top :) Acrylic lid to be made.

I must say that your preparation and forethought in your project clearly shine through and it looks amazing already.
I am a control freak, goes with the territory.

What carpet did you go with in the end? The LED you made looks really bright! Cant wait to see it finished it will be a master piece.
Micranthemum 'monte carlo' is the carpet. I got it from JohnC on here :)

The light is not as bright as it looks in the dog pictures. that is because the white balance is messed up when I try and take picture below the level of the light. The ones of just the tank are pretty accurate in terms of what I see.

A quick update. The 'monte carlo' and Tripiarta has had 6 days of the DSM and now I have planted Staurogyne Repens, Ranunculous Inundata, Ammania Bonsoi and a couple of other plants I impulsivley added just to try which are Proserpinaca Plustria and Hemianthus Micranthemoides. Will update again after week 2.

The dog thinks that its a sunbed.

IMG_1038.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

IMG_1041.JPG

IMG_1024.JPG

Back