• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Comp_Nov09: Mossy Stream

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilW

Name: Neil

Tank Dimensions (Height/Width/Depth): 12 x 16 x 7cm

Aquascape Name: Mossy Stream

Hardscape/Materials used: LFS mini landscape rock, ADA Forest Sand Xingu, TGM graded gravels

Plants: Java Moss

Fertilisation:
5 drops of TPN+ daily
5 drops of EasyCarbo daily

About the aquascape:
Inspired from the 'wedded rocks' Meoto-Iwa in Japan, my current nano 'Mountain Stream', and the detail in different sized mossy rocks in rivers. I wanted to experiment with using pure RO (in my normal tank its mixed with tap) and occasional carbonated spring water (when I know Im not taking photos because of the bubbles!). The 'tank' itself is an acrylic record card box that I bought from work for £4. Lighting comes from a 20w halogen desk lamp already existed in use as a desk lamp. The Java moss comes from my previous nano setup as I felt bad for not using any in my new tank. In the post is an Azoo Mignon 60 filter that was £6.79. Hopefully I'll get it going before the start date just because I'm feeling lazy with the water changes, it will add some needed flow, and I also want to keep going with the tank after the comp.

pico001.jpg

pico002.jpg

pico003.jpg

pico004.jpg

very nice :) im becoming a fan of moss, ive just tied a good few stones but this is the time that i hate, much better a couple of weeks down the line when they are mature looking

In for a shout i rekon, well done mate.

AdAndrews said:
very nice :) im becoming a fan of moss, ive just tied a good few stones but this is the time that i hate, much better a couple of weeks down the line when they are mature looking

In for a shout i rekon, well done mate.

Yeah I agree; much better when you can't see the thread! I really like terrestrial short sort of moss but I can't find an aquatic equivalent :( . The only thing I found in my search was 'green sock moss' but it doesn't seem to exist anywhere.

I don't think I stand a chance against the tasty opti-white picos! :lol: :D

Really cool rock work. Like my scape I'm not sure the moss will be at it's prime by the end of the comp but you'll get a beautiful micro-scape when it does! The migon is a great idea so cheap it's a viable option for this comp. Well budgeted - Tom

TBRO said:
Really cool rock work. Like my scape I'm not sure the moss will be at it's prime by the end of the comp but you'll get a beautiful micro-scape when it does! The migon is a great idea so cheap it's a viable option for this comp. Well budgeted - Tom

Thanks very much! Within the budget I was thinking of getting some kind of clip-on LED book light or other mini lamp, just an idea... more for looks to replace the massive desk lamp. I'm not sure it would be powerful enough or I could find the right thing though, any ideas?..

I looked at a few LED lights and you can get them really cheap. The light however looks very blue, you also need loads to illuminate a large are even on this scale! I'm quite pleased with the Goose neck, I'm getting some pearling - T

Lovely scape Neil, and great photography too :thumbup:

Cheers'
James

James Marshall said:
Lovely scape Neil, and great photography too :thumbup:

Cheers'
James

Thanks :D with the photography I tried using a nice textured Japanese paper instead of just normal white card but its too subtle to show up well. I also tried getting the 'ADA surface ripple' but the surface area is too small for a proper ripple :(. I've been inspired from your tank to maybe get some frosted backing, looks really nice! :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back