• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Comp_Nov09: My Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

aquaticmaniac

Name: aquaticmaniac

Tank Dimensions (Height/Width/Depth): 13cmx11cmx9.5cm

Aquascape Name: My Fault

Hardscape/Materials used: A stone found in my garden and broken into pieces

Plants: To be announced; most probably java moss.

Fertilisation: N/A

About the aquascape: The container is made from a cylindrical shipping container I got for free last year. I cut the cylinder in half lengthwise and siliconed the insert it came with into place to make the bottom. It looks a bit scratchy dry, but reasonable when filled with water. The substrate was taken from an existing riparium.
I couldn't find a decent amount of small interesting stones, so I took a machine hammer to the one I could find :D I'm going to have to reseal the bottom before I fill it. It held water for a couple days, but after moving it around, I've noticed a leak. That's what I get for being frugal with the sealant.
The idea is to have very low moss in the back and to the sides of the largest stones. I might even play with having it deep in the valley, if I can get it to work. To me, the 'scape is reminiscent of faults that can form mountains. Since I also used one broken rock for the hardscape, I thought it all tied in nicely.

This is just an initial shot. I'll get some better photos later.
pi085.jpg

SteveUK said:
Great start! I hope the substrate doesn't slip when you fill it, fingers crossed :)

This did cross my mind :) I may have to find a way to avoid that, or tweak it when filled.

Thanks, Mark! Glad you like it :)

Thanks for the idea, Steve. I'm worried that may not even work, but it might if I pack down the sand enough.

Thanks, Gill! It's just a rock I found lying around. I might have not thought of smashing it up, if it weren't for your journal.

Ok guys, I filled it today. And...it went great :D It didn't fall flat. There was only a little settling, and the main stone on the left settled just a tad. I've since raised it up a bit (after these photos were taken). It's pretty clear too. I wish I had some other small plants to use, but the moss is ok. I'm considering putting tiny twigs into some spots, but I'm not sure. I will probably dust back the lump of sand in the front to give it back the depth it had.

Round shiny things are so darn hard to photograph.

In the dark with a torch on it...
myfaultnov09.jpg

MyFaultNov09-1.jpg

In ewwy kitchen lighting
MyFaultNov09-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back