• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Comp_Nov09: The Jungle Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBRO

Name:Tom Brockley (TBRO)

Tank Dimensions (Height/Width/Depth): 14 cm cube

Aquascape Name:The Jungle Book

Hardscape/Materials used:Cube Vase from John Lewis - £12, Goose Neck 20 w lamp from home base - £ 6, Other materials salvaged from other tanks, ADA Xingu Sand, river gravel, coarse gravel, garden pebbles, red moor root - off cuts

Plants:Christmas Moss, Rotola sp Green, 'narrow' java fern, amazon frogbit

Fertilisation:TPN + Easy carb (in water from main tank used for water change)

About the aquascape:I wanted to try a pico Jungle scape rather than Iwugumi, I also wanted to try a set up without nutrient rich substrate - to avoid ammonia issues. I've tried to use plants that will be able to take nutrients from the water column. As with my other scapes moss features heavily and I chose Christmas moss that will hopefully form pretty leaf shapes. Tying the moss to such small stones was tricky but hopefully the thread will disappear as things grow. Now it sits on my book shelf, brightening up my office :)

<initial setup photos>

nanotanknov09013.jpg

Empty Cube

picotanknov09002.jpg

Wood positioning

picotanknov09004.jpg

Threading on the moss

picotanknov09006.jpg

Dry scape

picotanknov09008.jpg

With the other books

picotanknov09011.jpg

Front

picotanknov09014.jpg

Substrate detail

Hope you enjoy - Can't wait to see other peoples efforts, have fun - Tom

Excellent layout Tom,
I have to say i'm rather envious of the tank you've got, it looks far less distorted than mine,

Cheers,
James

Thanks for the comments Guys :D I'm very happy with the vase, I just hope stuff grows with the light I'm using! I'm looking foreward to ading a micro HOB filter after the comp, which will help. This comp should be really interesting seeing what all the creative peeps on UKAPS come up with - Tom

I decided to have a play with a sprig of bolbotis - in the centre. Not a big change but if anyone thinks this is not cricket I will remove it. PM me - Tom. Not much growth otherwise exept for the frogbit which has already been thinned out!

mintplanter007.jpg

This will look awesome when it matures and a trim. I like the vase a lot too with the rounded corners; £12 for a vase that size sounds quite painful though, mind you it is John Lewis :lol:

Jase said:
TBRO said:
Not a big change but if anyone thinks this is not cricket I will remove it.

I'm fairly sure this is within the rules, as the competition hasn't officially started yet, I certainly wouldn't complain at people making alterations and tweaking bits

i think you can change a plant, but drastic changes like whole re-scapes or re-arranges are not allowed

Re: Comp_Nov09: The Jungle Book (new photos 22/11/09)

Just some updates - waterchanges and easycarb working quite well. Moss could be greener, maybe I need more TPN? Got some algae on the moss which a tooth brush sorted out nicley. Cheers - T

pico2211005.jpg

pico2211001.jpg

pico2211002.jpg

That's looking really healthy Tom :thumbup: , seems like the moss has grown a bit already.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James, this has been a bit like a foray into pico EI for me. Amazing how much photosynthesis can be acheived just with easycarbo and TPN. I've been adding 0.5 ml of TPN and aprox 0.3 ml Easy carb a day - not livestock to worry about poisoning. Here's a quick pic (Not a post water change shot). I need to give the glass a good old clean before the final shots!

pico001.jpg

Thanks for the update Tom.
That pearling is awsome, it shows how effective liquid carbon can be.

Cheers,
James

Hey, just getting in a bit of practice, here's a empty shot of my tank. I like the fact that all the plants could continue in a emersed set up. I'm still not clear when the final shots need to be in by but hopfully I will get somthing posted in between the Christmas madness :lol:

picostudio006.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back