• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

compact cameras - Panasonic and canon

Nick16

hi, has anyone got either the panasonic lumix TZ7 or the canon ixus 100 IS?

im looking for a new camera and i really cant decide out of these two.
The canon is probably better at point and shoot and a bit better at macro stuff, but the panasonic has that huge 12x zoom.

can any owners give me some feedback on these two.

i would get a second hand DSLR but i cant afford it, and really cant justify needing one.

I can't say much about the canon, but a mate has the TZ7 and its great, I am considering buying one myself so I don't have to carry the huge DSLR on my holidays and stuff.

Im probably in the same boat as you mate, but with about £50 less to spend :thumbdown:

I'm going for a fujifilm finepix s1500 i think.

out of those two i would go Panasonic, my Dad has the TZ5 and its great.

Nick16 said:
TZ5 you say? is that they baby brother of the TZ7?
Yep the older model, since then it was replaced by the TZ6 and now the new TZ7.

I was in the same position as you and fortunately my gf got me the Canon IXUS 100IS for my birthday :lol: Awesome build quality, nice looking camera too, mines in the matt black.

Its macro does this;
edit001.jpg

snailv.jpg

full tank shots come out alright too, although like all cameras its having a play with the lighting, using a tripod and getting the white balance right to get the best results.

Really good to take out and about too because of its size and sturdiness

Hope that helps,
Neil

Thats a good way to get out of a conundrum. The best camera in the world is a free one :lol:

That shrimp macro is really good, both in sharpness and contrast. Compacts have come a long way!

flygja said:
Thats a good way to get out of a conundrum. The best camera in the world is a free one :lol:

That shrimp macro is really good, both in sharpness and contrast. Compacts have come a long way!

I was impressed because I havn't bought a camera in years. You have to persevere to get the sharp focus and thats probs as close as you'll get. With any compact you'll never beat having the real deal with expensive quality optics though

Back