• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Compact photography

Dan Walter

Can anyone give me any tips for taking good shots of my tank with my compact?

My camera is a Panasonic DMC-FX12 and the current setting are:

"Normal Picture"
Exposure +1
ISD100
No Flash

I'm not expecting anything too great but any advice would be welcomed? I seem to get better pictures with my iPhone!?!? Surely my compact is better than a phone camera!?

This is one I have just taken and it looks nothing like the tank does in real life..
P1040427.jpg

Cheers

Dan

everything seems fine exposure wise.

maybe place a piece of card @ the top of the tank to shield the light from the camera lens.

if you have a spare light kicking around, try placing that at the back of the tank to illuminate the lower half and try to eliminate the grey are at the bottom (rear)

Cheers saintly, I've been thinking about back lighting recently.. any suggestions for what type? I was thinking of some sort of LED's on the back of cabinet facing the wall.

I'm not familiar with LED's. i do know though, either 24, 39 or 54wt5 depending on the tank size, works a treat. add a reflector too.
i'll post a pick shortly

here you go. one i've installed recently.

back-light.jpg

without

without.jpg

with

with.jpg

it'll help folk with no additional lighting.

random.jpg

be sure to tape out the rear substarte line though. and use for when your at home or public viewing :thumbup:

Hey Mark

That pic with and without the back light is really useful and you have just sold me on setting it up on my tank!

Thanks

Andy

andyh said:
That pic with and without the back light is really useful and you have just sold me on setting it up on my tank!

Thanks

no probs Andy. it's a killer effect mate. Theres many of us doing it now. just black out the substarte line though to prevent any problems later on down the line :thumbup:

I cant believe the difference!? I've got a spare T8 unit kicking around somewhere that I'm sure could be modded to fit behind the unit.. Cheers for that mate ;)

Back