• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Confused about dry salt dosing...help please.

skinz180189

I read that EI dosing using dry salts is the cheapest way. Read through the tutorial, but no matter how many times I read it, nothing clicks, at all.

So I need some help from the chemists :oops:.

Plants: Some Java Ferns & Moss, 15Gallon Tank, 15 Watt T8 Lighting.

If possible, is there any way you can just dose once a week after every water change, especially as I'm often away through the week (that will be ending soon though)?

If I was to do that, what sort of quantities of what would I need?

Thanks.

The recipe given in the tutorial is for a 20gallon tank, so you can just use that if you like, the 5gallons wont make much difference.

NPK (Nitrogen+Phosphorus+Potassium) Mixture for 20 Gallon Tank
1 month = 4 Weeks
3 doses of NPK per week
Therefore there are 12 doses of NPK per month.
Multiply a single dose teaspoon value by 12 => [3/16 tsp KNO3]*12 = 2 ¼ tsp KNO3
[1/16 tsp KH2PO4]*12 = ¾ tsp KH2PO4
[1/2 tsp MgSO4]*12 = 6 tsp MgSO4
Add these to 600ml of tap or distilled water

Now this mixture must serve 12 doses so each dose is 600ml/12 = 50ml
This makes life easier because you need only dose 50ml of this NPK solution 3 times per week.

Always separate the CSM+B from the NPK because it has a tendency to react with the phosphate. You can dose the CSM+B as a powder or if it more convenient add 8 * 1/16 tsp => ½ teaspoon to 200 ml of water and dose 25 ml two times per week.
Naturally, the mixture scales in the same way. If the tank is twice as large than you would add twice as much powder to you 600ml of water and so on.

i suppose you can add it in one lump sum, i was talking to someone the other week who met an aquascaper who uses that technique an he said his tanks looked good, so it cant be that bad

skinz180189 said:
Does "Trace Mix" need adding with that?
yes
Always separate the CSM+B from the NPK because it has a tendency to react with the phosphate. You can dose the CSM+B as a powder or if it more convenient add 8 * 1/16 tsp => ½ teaspoon to 200 ml of water and dose 25 ml two times per week.
Naturally, the mixture scales in the same way. If the tank is twice as large than you would add twice as much powder to you 600ml of water and so on.

skinz180189 said:
My bad, just clicked that CSM+B is the trace mix :).

What would be the best quantities to buy? 500g?

yes, you can buy 100/ 250g of trace as you dont use as much.

If you want you could use Tropica Plant Nutrition+ which contains everything your plants need, it will still work out cheap at a weekly dose - 5ml per 50litres

aaronnorth said:
skinz180189 said:

If you want you could use Tropica Plant Nutrition+ which contains everything your plants need, it will still work out cheap at a weekly dose - 5ml per 50litres

Gosh, a 500ml bottle would last almost 2 years at that ratio. What about Algae growth with the Tropica?

skinz180189 said:
aaronnorth said:
skinz180189 said:

Gosh, a 500ml bottle would last almost 2 years at that ratio. What about Algae growth with the Tropica?

are you sure? if you dose 5ml per week, it will last 100 weeks wouldnt it :?:

You have to look what algae growth you get, if it is because of low nutrients, then simply raise the dose.

Back