• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Confused about filter for 28L N. guentheri low tech tank

Robbie X

Hi guys, please forgive me constantly posting but I'm trying to absorb as much info as possible.
I just read an article that stated you should not use a sponge filter with air pump in a planted tank as the bubbles remove CO2 from the water, which in turn deprives the plants of the needed CO2.
I have also read in a number of other articles that sponge filters are best for Nothobranchius guentheri as they dislike a strong water flow in the tank, so internal filters are out. I'm now confused as to what filter I should get.

Are you injecting co2? If not then don't worry about it. I have a 200l ebay HOB filter that I have waterfalling into the tank. Works great, very little current. If I was inject co2 I would simply rise the water level so that outlet ran into the water without breaking the water surface.

Are you injecting co2? If not then don't worry about it. I have a 200l ebay HOB filter that I have waterfalling into the tank. Works great, very little current. If I was inject co2 I would simply rise the water level so that outlet ran into the water without breaking the water surface.
Cheers bro, not running Co2 on this setup (Saving that experience for my future TMC tank). Was pulling my hair out trying to decide what to do about this filter lol :lol:

Hi all,
I just read an article that stated you should not use a sponge filter with air pump in a planted tank as the bubbles remove CO2 from the water, which in turn deprives the plants of the needed CO2.
Like EnderUK says this isn't a problem. If you aren't adding CO2, air filters and flow will actually add more CO2. This is because they increase the area of the gas exchange surface.
as they dislike a strong water flow in the tank, so internal filters are out.
That one isn't right either, you can diffuse the flow by having lots of plants and structure, the only problem with little internal filters is they don't have much biological filter media in them. I like Eheim Aquaballs, the smallest model would do, but I'd add more modules for the sponges.
Was pulling my hair out trying to decide what to do about this filter
Honestly if you have plenty of plants any filter will do.
I have a 200l ebay HOB filter that I have waterfalling into the tank. Works great, very little current
I like HOB's as, or you can just use air powered sponge filter.

If I was setting up for Killi's I'd use either the deBryun filter <http://www.aka.org/UserFiles/File/debruyn_filter.pdf>, or an "Eck" (corner) HMF <http://www.swisstropicals.com/filtration-shop/cornerfilter-shop/>
with a Maxijet 400 or similar power-head. I like Maxi-jets because they are quiet, last forever and don't use much power.

cheers Darrel

Many thanks Darrel, great info. I bought a cheap double sponge filter as I read some good things about them, just to get me started and before I saw the reply. But I really like the look of the ECM corner filter. The aquaballs are neat looking units also.
I used to have hob waterfall filter years ago and completely forgot about that form of filter:banghead:
At least I now have a little more knowledge for the next killifish tank (I will probably want another quite soon) lol, that's just the way I roll:lol:
I just need to wait for all my bits to arrive now and I'm ready to rock & roll killi style ;)

Back