• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Connecting Fluval FX5 to 17mm lily pipes?

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Does anyone have any experience, or have any info about connecting an FX5 to 17mm lily pipes?

The FX5 comes supplied with 25mm anti-kink ribbed hosing go I guess I'd be looking at some sort of adaptor.

To be honest I've not even opened the box so am not sure if I can replace the hose entirely?

Any thoughts welcome!

Cheers.

Hey George.
I tried this and found you need to entirely change the piping (that's a mixed blessing as I found it stole back 500lph in flow).
The adapters you need aren't cheap, I got mine from a pond supply place and seem to remember them being about £8 each.
Ideally you'd want to split the outlet in two and use two sets of lilys, I did this with a pair of 13mm lillys to see if it was practical and found the flow to be only about 700lph less than the standard fluval outlet, I'd imagine that a pair of 17mm lillys would be much better.

You dont mean something like this Sam:

[
Uniadaptor.jpg

http://www.oasisaquarium.co.uk/catalogu ... p1838.asp#

Just an idea.

Dave

Are the Fluval hoses ribbed? How do their fittings stop water tracking along the threads and leaking? Would a simple hose connector maybe not do this?

If Fluval do a fitting that connects their ribbed hose to a threaded connection then you can get all sorts of hose fittings of all diameters that will screw onto it for any diameter fitting.

Hello George I have never had experience with linking lily pipes to the out let of a fx5 but I have had experience when it comes to using an adaptor to resize the pipes. DONT resize the pipe going in as I have tryed to resize it to 16/22 and it just crushed the pipe and sucked it flat. I have the outlet on 16/22 connected to a ehem spray bar. I can supply pictures if that helps.

ermm not much at all. instead of the normal out let which I don't think is the best i have opted for a eheim spray bar kit which does the job :). also just bought another fx5 will compare the two as the one i just got has the original pipes and out let

Back