• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Considering fluval 406 for a 130L tank

mafoo

I'm considering getting a fluval 406 for my 130L tank that currently has a 205 attached to it.

The growth on the side of the tank where the spraybar comes in is noticably lusher, and I swear that im getting localised amonia spikes in the areas of planting thats too dense for the flow rate at the moment.

What do people think, would this be overkill? I've put off buying buying an ehiem a the new ones made in china sound like a rock in a tumble dryer and I don't think the tetratec ones would fit though the hood without some major sawing/drilling.

What do people think?

I have a 120 l tank and just bought 1400 lph filter , i have been running a 205 for the past 5 years :)
Surely slighty more is better and at least you know your going to hit the recommended 10 x flow 'rule'

I have 106 and its rubbish for airlocking i changed to eheim hose and its much better
I have heard of similar problems with 206,306 and 406 too
These problems didnt occur with 105,205,305,405
I find the airlocking happens on all of them with the fluval hoses as the ribbing can catch a lot of air bubbles. I've acutally started using a power head to prime the filter and it gets it going in no time.

Anyhoo, ive seen the 406s being sold for £118 inc delivery online and im sorely tempted.

Hi Mafoo I run a 406 on a 190l tank and I added a powerhead to get the flow to the level I want, it's a decent filter but there are cheaper alternatives. One of the site sponsors has added some eden filters which have in built heaters but I don't know how well these are rated, might be worth a look.

I've had my 205 for about 5 years and I think I paid £49.99 new , running every day , no leaks and nothing ever gone wrong :) I'm renewing for more flow.

Back