• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Consistency Deficiency

Hm yeah, its strange. They dont seem to go all the way to the waters surface, which is a good sign.
They are also all going to the corner of the tank that is towards the window, so the glass panes on that side would have the most algae.. maybe they are hungry??
I have fed the tank a lot less lately 🤔
The tank got too much food over winter because the fishsticks moved out but I didnt reduce the autofeeder dose. So I got a population boom of all sorts of snails.
Then I reduced that and lately been feeding sparingly by hand, since the tank hasnt been quite well.
Theres a ton of empty Physa snail shells all over the tank now too.
Either the Physa snails are starving to death, or the kuhlis are eating em.

Will take more pictures of the tank tomorrow, dont think there is hardly enough exciting things happening for spamming the forum with photos every day, I feel bad enough already ;) Put in some more of that "el bow griis" everyone is talking about, and trimmed off some more old plant leaves. It feels much better to trim off old growth when new stuff is growing out so fast.

Been doing a little more digging on cryptocorynes, seems like Cryptocoryne "Queen Vandom" could be Cryptocoryne fusca. Someone on the facebook group "Cryptocoryne Corner" has bloomed a plant sold as Queen Vandom, and found the spathe looks a lot like fusca. I also found this chinese blog, which shows pictures of a plant with slight green stripes, pinkish glittery markings on a green leaf, much like the pictures of Queen Vandom on google. The blog entry says the pictures are of C. fusca.
Based on this I think maybe I will refer to my plant with the full name of Cryptocoryne fusca "Queen Vandom" from now on, does anyone know if this is the correct way to write it? I dont know much about plant naming rules, is there a difference between writing something with " " and ' ' ?

Ill be stopping by the "crypt-LFS" this weekend to look for a second Silver Queen for a friend, and I was thinking of picking up one or two of the ones labeled as Ferruginea as well. They are apparently not as boldly patterned as something like striolata, but is said to be a much more easy-going crypt.

I think they eat them.
:hungry: I think so too

🚨Picture warning🚧🛑

20220301_135706.jpg
FTS. Water seems to be clearing up a bit. I dont normally use floss in my filters, so im happy to see it seems to be clearing up on its own.
The polysperma was running out of space in the foreground, I pulled them out and let them float in the corner. Im not quite ready to let go of them, but soon.

20220301_135712.jpg
20220301_135717.jpg
20220301_135721.jpg
I did a bit of rearranging of the rocks and mosses etc, wanted the taller stuff in the back so small things werent stuck in slow flow zones behind things.

20220301_135729.jpg

20220301_135740.jpg
Fontinalis seems to really like CO2, it seems to have done a lot of growing suddenly. I also see there is more thread algae on it I need to remove 😅
I am planning to do a blackout + maybe some treatment for the thread algae eventually, but I want to grow out these baby plants first before I start messing with the light. Algae is annoying sure but not dangerous.

20220301_135801.jpg
Hufsa's special Hooker moss in progress. I havent forgotten about your order @Garuf , its just a bit slow growing :lol:

20220301_135805.jpg
Silver noodle still lives under the Fissidens fontanus shell. He was alarmed and highly offended when I lifted the shell to relocate it yesterday.
I assume hes back in there this morning :) I should rotate it again so the little opening is facing the front, that way we can see his tail sticking out or his little face occasionally.
In my mind he is actually called "Ormen Lange", which translates to something like "The Long Serpent". I didnt really know where it came from, it just showed up from my subconscious, so had been meaning to google the name to see what it was.
I was expecting some sort of Nessie-like local myth.
No..
Google was quick to inform me that it is an oil field off the coast of Norway :facepalm:
But the oil field took the name of a famous viking longship. So I guess that is a little more romantic, even though it feels a bit less special than I had hoped thanks to the oil :crazy:

20220301_135817.jpg
Side view of one of the teeny tiny "2D" fissidens species.

20220301_135830.jpg
"The bad angle", ill just keep retaking this shot so I can compare the growth, even though it is -never- in focus.

20220301_135850.jpg
Pantanal is starting to look something remotely similar to pantanal, getting some thin leaves and a little bit of color.. hope to see it gain some size soon, im nervous :nailbiting:

20220301_135902.jpg
At this point in the photoshoot I start wondering if its just the camera making things look chlorotic, or if stuff really is a bit too pale... 🤔

20220301_135919.jpg
Bucephalandra Black Venti is loving the CO2, theres just a few old BBA leaves left to trim, the rest is all fresh new leaves. I really like this buce, it stands out well. To the left of it is floating some uhhh.. checks notes :bookworm: Pearl Gray! phew almost got me there. I cant tell the Pearl Gray apart from the Silver Grey yet, and they are just floating in each their side of the tank, so Im a little bit nervous of losing track of them. Aside from the one I bought that had already lost its name, I am firmly determined to keep track of all of mine. I have planned what I think is a devious little system for doing so, will write more on this when my secret supplies arrive..

20220301_135926.jpg

20220301_135931.jpg
The Guyana is especially affected by the window near the tank. Since the photoperiod is so short atm (sneeze and you'll miss it), the plants spend a decent time every morning trying to grow towards the ambient light. Im not convinced this is good for them. I want to increase the photoperiod again gradually when I feel like things are stable enough for it.

20220301_135938.jpg
Ammannia crassicaulis got stripped of a lot of old crusty leaves, the two stems in front will get the same treatment as soon as they have made a decent start at new tops.

20220301_135948.jpg
I really like this plant 🥰 Have I mentioned that?

Since I was starting to doubt what I was seeing with light tops, I pulled out my old trick and took some photos from above. I unplugged the Ultramax and the CO2 but forgot the Eheim that runs the bottom spray bar, so there is a little bit of distortion in the images.

20220301_140125.jpg

20220301_140131.jpg
Does seem like tops are a little too light..
I then ran the doser a bit manually for both macros and micros. Im still using up the remnants left in the dosing containers, they should be adding like 16 ppm NO3 + stuff weekly, but since I recently did a lot of water changes, I dont think it has accumulated to the right level in the watercolumn yet. Theres only about two days or so left in the containers and then ill pour in the new ferts, should be 20 ppm NO3 + stuff weekly after that, 2/3 EI.

20220301_140139.jpg
I like this shot, its like a rainbow :lol:

20220301_140148.jpg

20220301_140159.jpg
Rotalas also looking light from above. Can you see the pattern on the Crypt purpurea?
I think they will be a very decorative addition to the tank, a nice green leaf with subtle dark patterning 🥰

20220301_140219.jpg
Some more "Skittles, taste the rainbow" ;)

20220301_142412.jpg
The remnants of my algae crew :( RIP. Who is going to clean all the tiny plant leaves now?

20220301_142448.jpg
Even just up the hill from the first pic there are more empty shells.
Maybe ill have to buy more shrimp instead to replace my lost workers.. but pest snails are free and more shrimp are not :what:
I could build a wall to keep them safe, and make the kuhlis pay for it! :grumpy::lol:

Does seem like tops are a little too light..
light coloured tips are caused by too little Fe, Mn or Mg as that can help aid iron uptake.
1646150937121.png

this plant shows clear signs of it, lysimachia nummularia?
tonina as well, shows iron deficiency very quickly, but it also is a bit sensitive to the other non Fe micros I think.
1646151008704.png

tank looks great and it looks like the majority of plants are putting on good growth!

Hi all,
At this point in the photoshoot I start wondering if its just the camera making things look chlorotic, or if stuff really is a bit too pale...
"Too pale" would be my guess. As it is the new leaves it is likely to be lack of available iron (Fe) and it will take the plants <"a while to recover">.

cheers Darrel

Haha I’m in no hurry.

There’s an idea for you in there for a scape, a Norwegian landscape tank.

You even. Get to collect your own rocks n wood n stuff!

light coloured tips are caused by too little Fe, Mn or Mg as that can help aid iron uptake.
As it is the new leaves it is likely to be lack of available iron (Fe) and it will take the plants <"a while to recover">.
Yes I know iron deficiency guys :lol:;) Because of the many water changes my water could have been running a bit lean so its just a case of adding some more

this plant ... lysimachia nummularia?
Looks quite like it, but its Ludwigia sp. "Marilia" 😊 Turns a lovely sunny yellow

There’s an idea for you in there for a scape, a Norwegian landscape tank.
If I design some fjords, do you reckon it would be an award-winning* scape :cool:
(*for Darrel)

Last edited:
Because of the many water changes my water could have been running a bit lean so its just a case of adding some more

You've also switched from low energy and mainly epiphytes, to high energy and fast growing stems, so you may want to re-examine your dosing in general.

I'll buy you one whole norwegian-priced beer if you ever visit! 😘

Claim it Darrel - he didn't specify size!:

1646153696587.png

I can’t see why not, it’d be a nice change if nothing else to all the Brazilian tanks and dioramas.

You've also switched from low energy and mainly epiphytes, to high energy and fast growing stems, so you may want to re-examine your dosing in general.
Was 1/5 EI, now 2/3 :thumbup: The doser just needs a little time and possibly some help to catch up

Claim it Darrel - he didn't specify size!:
He !? :oops:
As for the size, ive made a terrible mistake. I'll call my bank immediately to inquire about a loan o_O

Hi all,
I'll buy you one whole norwegian-priced beer if you ever visit!
Now, that really is a generous offer.

1646153696587.png

Same applies, if you ever come to <"the land of the groat">, I'll buy you as much of <"Devizes finest"> as you can drink/ I can afford. We've had a Swedish house swap and a Danish work away (even though he was really a friend of my daughter) but I'm pretty sure we've never entertained a Norwegian.

It has to be said many of foreign visitors have not reacted to Cricket, Farmhouse Cheddar cheese, genuine Bitter beer or Egremont Russet apples in quite the way I was hoping.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I had to look up Brunost - I don't think I've seen that here in Minnesota where we have a LOT of Norwegian/Scandinavian heritage. It looks pretty good to me :) I wonder if it goes by another name here in the US.
Its good if you dont expect cheese, think caramel / fudge :thumbup: Can pair it with wholegrain bread and jam, or with butter on a waffle or a pancake 😊

It sounds a whole lot better than Swedish Surströmming at least! 🤢

Last edited:
Back