• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Controlling condensation in a small cylindrical tank with a DOOA Terra Base – open up the lid or set up a fan?

jimmywaleseswhale

Set up a new DOOA Terra Base – porous ceramic tube that slowly lets out water to plants that are tied/growing on it. Java moss, a bit of spiky and weeping moss, Alternantheria, Bucephalandra, Anubias, a miniature Sarracenia. Part due to being cheap, part due to the aesthetics, I went for a cylinder vase instead of an officially recommended DOOA air tank. Roughly the same dimensions, but because it is a cylinder, the volume is smaller. I tried to leave it closed in order to saturate the air with moisture. It mists up and only goes back to normal when opening the lid. Perhaps the tank is too small.

My options are 1) bigger tank (egh, after less than a week!) 2) leave the lid semi-open (but what if this will drop the humidity too low). 3) Leave it semi-closed but install a fan that would circulate the air. So far I've tried it with a tiny USB fan: it doesn't do much to clean up the existing condensation but does help a bit with keeping it clear. Considering getting a bigger fan to increase the circulation flow but worried that the swampy plans won't love the constant breeze.

Any advice appreciated.

TLDR: how to you keep condensations from small tanks – open the lid or install a fan?

Back