• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

converting plastic to planted in established tank

Larix83

Hi everyone
I am about to start converting my 500 litre established community tank from plastic to planted. I have a lancia 2 LED, ista co2 tank with regulator and solonoid. and got some seachem flourish advance. ada amazonia. any advice on how to tackle this?

Welcome to UKAPS - it's good to see someone coming from the dark side into the light! :D

Do you have a pic of your current tank? Is your plan to empty it completely or add plants and substrate in whilst it's still in operation?

Also, I'd send the Seachem Flourish Advanced back if you can, it's not a proper fertilizer. For a 500 litre tank you are going to want to use dry salts, so get this starter kit and follow the very simple instructions to mix yourself some ferts ready for planting:

Also, what size if the Ista CO2 bottle?

i watched a few videos where someone took the aquasoil and added water to it in a bucket, leave it 2 days, drain it, add water again and repeat plus minus 5x until and then tested it, and once it was at safe levels, added it in small amounts to the existing aquarium with a 2 litre coke bottle or syphon?
for the moment i added a few root tabs around the roots and ive been dosing with liquid co2 till i get my co2 going? i have no idea how many bubbles per second would be appropriate in this size tank? will add photo when i get home, at work now

ok so i had a look at this,

Ei Starter 1 Kit with Bottles​

it looks great but is there anything similar? i cannot find that anywhere in South africa?

ok so i had a look at this,

Ei Starter 1 Kit with Bottles​

it looks great but is there anything similar? i cannot find that anywhere in South africa?

Ah, sorry, I missed that you were in SA. You could try and source the individual salts listed on the website (that would be your cheapest option), or see what comprehensive All-in-one fertilizers you have available.

Hi everyone
I am about to start converting my 500 litre established community tank from plastic to planted. I have a lancia 2 LED, ista co2 tank with regulator and solonoid. and got some seachem flourish advance. ada amazonia. any advice on how to tackle this?
Welcome to Ukaps.
What plants you are thinking of growing.
Only asking as in CO2 injected tank while the CO2 is beneficial to plant growth it is difficult to get it right without prior experience more in tank your size.Have you considered to start low and slow and once you gain a little knowledge and experience growing easier plants to take the CO2 route.
Im not trying to put you off but in CO2 injected tank all things happen faster and not only the good ones if you don't get it right.
With low tech while limited on plant species you will be able to grow successfully, you will have easier learning curve.
Here is example of my low tech No CO2 tank below as proof you can get decent tank without it.
20220222_130419.jpg

Regards Konstantin

Back