• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Converting Reef Metal Halide, which bulb Kelvin?

Greengeek

I’ve converted my reef aquarium back to a planted but want to replace the 3 x 150watt metal Halide bulbs. But I’m not sure which kelvin colour temperature to get?
Currently running 14000k and 2 x 20000k but they are of course very blue.

What would be best for plant growth 10000k, 6500k or lower? What would be best and anyone recommend a good brand that does not cost the earth!

I know LED are very popular now and I’m already running a couple of different LED brands, but it’s a very large, deep tank and MH is my preferred lighting solution (and I’d rather use the technology I already have).

Thank you

Giesemann are brilliant, but unfortunately the websites not letting me add the correct amount of bulbs to my basket and then when I tried to buy just 2 I can’t get delivery. But I’ve always had trouble finding places to purchase Giesemann, really hard to get hold of them, which is a shame as they are one of the best in my opinion.

However the bulbs I was gonna purchase from them are 4200k and 5200k, and I’ve managed to find different brands online.....hopefully they are the same colour!

Thank you!

The actual colour spectrum wont make much (If any) difference to plant growth but anything around 6500k will look much better in freshwater.
I used MH lights at one time but that was many years ago, the heat and high wattage would really put me off nowadays .

I agree with foxfish. There will not be any measurable difference in plant growth/health due to color temperature. What's more important is to use a color or a mix of colors that you find attractive.

Cheers,

However the bulbs I was gonna purchase from them are 4200k and 5200k, and I’ve managed to find different brands online.....hopefully they are the same colour!
I’d suggest contacting Giesemann directly ... odd as it seems, the same color temp bulb from different manufacturers may look quite different to the human eye

(also a Giesemann fan though there’s no longer any distribution/sales of their light units in my area)

Back