• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cool Cats Club vs Warm Goats Lounge

rebel

Hi everyone,

I recently acquired an older style Fluval 2.0 light for my tank. I've always had a feeling that I didn't like warmer colour rendition in a tank.

Now I am sure. This light is said to be 7500k but has significantly higher amounts of warmer LEDs ( I will get a photo ).

Compared to my Chihiros A series lights, they are significantly warmer and makes my green plants look yellow and maybe even somewhat unhealthy!

Given that warmer temperatures are popular in the hobby, I was wondering, is it un-common to only like the cooler colour rendition when it comes to planted tanks?

Keen to hear your thoughts and I will give this light about 3 months or so on my tank. Maybe I will get used to the warm colour!?

Personally I’ve alwys liked a warmer light, however by that I mean less white with a more red, green, blue colour.
Can you adjust colour rendition on that light? I’m sure I had one and I thought it was far too bright white. I opted for aquasky instead (non planted tank) and I balanced them with much less white and more red which enhanced the fish.
I now have twinstar 600sp units and find them a bit cool tbh, however my opinion may change with the addition of some greenery.
It’s all just personal taste though and if your not happy then I’d swap it out as it is you who looks at your tank daily.
Cheerio
Ady.

Think I must be missing something on the Goats analogy :confused:

I much prefer light that is too cool 8000K over light that is too warm 3000 - 4000 K, even 5000 is too yellow

6500 - 6700K can be perfect but it can also be too yellow depending on the CRI ... which seems to have been left behind in recent light analyses days - perhaps as so many LED have CRI in the 80-82 range when anything below 90 tends to look “off”
It’s much less common to see 6700K with a too “cool blue” tint

I almost picked up a Chihiros LED for my 30cm cube, but then saw the display model and it was much too blue for my taste ..... I have the older model ADA Aquasky and they look much warmer though also supposedly running 7000 - 8000 (sorry I can’t recall)

Fluval/Hagen can run both extremes with their lights ... I sometimes think they just randomly choose the lowest bid when it pertains to light effects (& change LED supply midway through a production run :rolleyes:)

I have 3 Kessil A160WE on two tanks - the first two were first generation A160WE tuna sun, the third is of much more recent vintage ... tanks are in very different ambient light zones but at night I’d expect all 3 Kessil’s to look much the same
Only they don’t, the newer Kessil is distinctly “warmer” hued, the reds appear “redder” etc

I’m keen to try the new A360X tuna sun as it has more color LEDs
EXCEPT for the price :eek:

US forum posters are predicting a price drop in a few months though I’m not convinced, it does seem crazy that after the new lights were at MACNA early Sept, there’s still no sign of the promised wifi accessory, nor any discussion of a 160X model (though I suspect these sold better as freshwater lights)

Ok boys here is the pics of the diodes. They are smd so I wont bother swapping them given I can just sell the if I dont like it.

20190103_165754_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20190103_165754_HDR.jpg
    20190103_165754_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 61
Back