• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Coral Identify

Orbiter

Seedling
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum (and to marine aquarium) and apologise if I'm posting in the wrong section.
Can anyone please let me know the name or scientific name of the following coral.
20200612_055812.jpg

I want to know who's in my tank :)

Hello, welcome. This forum is all about freshwater aquaria and plants not marine, although there may be some folk with marine experience that might be able to help.

Completely agree galaxea coral. One of the most aggressive corals there is and they can easily take out anything close by. I use reef2reef and it's a great friendly forum, just like here.

I wish we had a marine section as I’m dabbling in marine and can’t be bothered to join another forum but would like to post here. Perversely I’m struggling to grow algae in my display tank, I want to have a macroalgae garden but I’m not going to risk expensive tiny fragments of macro, so wished we had an Algae Barn over here!

Hint to George ;)

Rumour is he’s going to set up a marine - with scape & plant focus - in the next year
:)

Marine is a really tough area. As the corals and animals are use to constant
Levels of trace elements in the aquarium. An most people do not keep large enough systems to keep a stable environment. Plants are use to a changing environment. As they are found in bodies of water that changes over the coarse of a year.
Galaxie coral requires a lot of room around it. As you see the sweeper tentacles that will sting other corals and kill them. You don’t see that in plants other than shading to block other plants.

As you see the sweeper tentacles that will sting other corals and kill them.

Tell me about it! I have an EVO 13.5g and I’ve totally run out of space with a bubble trying to take over the place, would have been a different story if I hadn’t put the Nem in a prison!

7BEE2AFF-6977-4A61-8CBC-BCE7371A818B.jpeg

A1B1B09D-8804-47FF-A5DD-93BB200F99B9.jpeg

It’s surprising the amount of diversity you need to keep certain things, for instance I can’t keep Zoas alive for long because the Amphipods eat them voraciously and everything is asleep when they come out so I need a Tanakas wrasse to do the job.

00A179BF-892D-4C12-A470-DCF957E1D243.jpeg

1343DBB3-0969-4ECA-92B0-AE877DA639CE.jpeg

It’s now bare rock. :(

I have also run out of Aiptasia to feed the Berghia!

00D73B45-02A3-4DAD-979A-4469B330421F.jpeg

4D663D69-BBAE-4EA3-A4FE-04BB7707F1A5.jpeg

The eggs belong to a Nassarius Snail!

Thanks for sharing. I have to take the bait - why is your sea anemone in a prison!?

It’s surprising the amount of diversity you need to keep certain things, for instance I can’t keep Zoas alive for long because the Amphipods eat them voraciously and everything is asleep when they come out so I need a Tanakas wrasse to do the job.

Am I really understanding correctly this means “aquatic shrimp are coming out of the live rock at night while my fish are asleep and eating my corals so I need a nocturnal predator to eat them”?

#marine tank problems!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing. I have to take the bait - why is your sea anemone in a prison!?

Because it’s the Hannibal Lecter of the tank and I’m training it to put the foot/lotion in the basket for Fava Bean treats while hopefully it bathes in a nice Chianti!

Once it keeps its foot still I’ll transfer it to a larger hamster ball and shove my Occelaris Clown Pair in there to hopefully learn to host with it!

Am I really understanding correctly this means “aquatic shrimp are coming out of the live rock at night while my fish are asleep and eating my corals so I need a nocturnal predator to eat them”?

Yup exactly that, but not the worst things to come out the rocks at night, that’ll be the Graboids

#marine tank problems!

#wayworsethanplanted!

On the plus side I’ve finally got a tank that I can guilt free spend on because my wife and daughter are completely hooked and will talk to the fish like they were the house dogs/cats, I don’t blame them though the fish do have funny individual personalities!

Sigh... still waiting on the big tank!

Wow. Awesome videos. This just gets more and more surreal.
Because it’s the Hannibal Lecter of the tank and I’m training it to put the foot/lotion in the basket for Fava Bean treats while hopefully it bathes in a nice Chianti!
You can seriously use operant conditioning to train an anenome to stay put just like I taught my cat to high five!? If it were free, where would it go and what would it do!?

I’ve been thinking for a long time “it would be nice to have a marine nano with a couple of clownfish, some soft corals and an anenome but I’m starting to see this is a whole order of magnitude more complicated than I imagined!
On the plus side I’ve finally got a tank that I can guilt free spend on because my wife and daughter are completely hooked and will talk to the fish like they were the house dogs/cats, I don’t blame them though the fish do have funny individual personalities!
😄 you found the holy grail mate!

Wow. Awesome videos. This just gets more and more surreal.

You can seriously use operant conditioning to train an anenome to stay put just like I taught my cat to high five!? If it were free, where would it go and what would it do!?

Unfortunately no. Bubble tip nems like to have their foot in a surrounding hole for safety but it doesn't mean they will stay there if the flow and light conditions aren't correct. If it doesn't like the spot it will move, so even if we think we've picked the best spot, there is a chance it will go roaming around the tank (sometimes doing laps before coming back to the spot we picked). If it feels secure there is less chance it will move but we still need luck.

Reactions: Ray
Back