• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Coral moss ID?

dennish

Hi all,

I've bought this moss online from someone else, stating it was coral moss.

I was looking for Riccardia Chamedryfolia. Since I received it, I'm not so sure anymore. The leaves look kind of.. big to be mini pellia?
I may be my own fault by mixing up names like coral moss, mini pellia and riccardia chamedryfolia. But does anyone have more experience on this part and could tell me which moss this is?

IMG_3429.jpg

Hi all,
I was looking for Riccardia Chamedryfolia. Since I received it, I'm not so sure anymore. The leaves look kind of.. big to be mini pellia?
I may be my own fault by mixing up names like coral moss, mini pellia and riccardia chamedryfolia.
<"Moss" naming"> (and I'd include fern gametophytes & liverworts, both thalloid <"and "leafy"> in this) is an <"absolute mess">, and buying a moss that is actually what it says on the label is just a total lottery.

cheers Darrel

Yes, you're probably both right. Looks much more like round pellia/subwassertang.

Oh well. The search continues!

Thanks much for the quick responses.

Hi all,

It looks like <"Subwassertang">. Marcel @zozo maybe able to give a <"more definitive ID">.

This is <"some of his">.

dscf8052-kopie-jpg-jpg.jpg

cheers Darrel

Yes, it looks like Süßwassertang to me too... But I'm never confident enough to give a definitive ID on anything moss or fern prothallium related. All the liverworts I've seen and grown such as Pellia and Riccardia submerged have a more rounded forked leaf structure and have a closer resemblance to Ricia but larger. That somewhat irregular jagged leaf structure is afaik typical ID for Lomearopsis cf. linetta. But Java Fern prothallium can look eerily similar if you look it up.

Back