• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'Coral Pellia' aka 'Mini Pellia'?

NeilW

Hey everyone :wave:

First I'm rather confused that 'coral pellia' aka 'mini pellia' is under the latin name of both Riccardia graeffei and also Riccardia chamedryfolia. Which is correct? Is there a difference?

The cost of said coral pellia is crazily high in the rare places you find it I'm guessing due to its rarity and slow growth.

I was previously purchasing from AquaShrimps that was top quality although a two pence sized piece was about £4.

Having a scout around I have found Tropica list it;
http://www.tropica.com/plants/plantdescription.aspx?pid=003D
Would it be possible that someone would stock it in the UK?

Did you guys know of any other source that offers good value for money?

NeilW said:
'coral pellia' aka 'mini pellia' is under the latin name of both Riccardia graeffei and also Riccardia chamedryfolia. Which is correct? Is there a difference?

There is a difference between Riccardia graeffei and Riccardia chamedryfolia. The fronds of graeffei are slightly larger (both are still very small though).

The common names of coral pellia and mini pellia are used interchangeably.

On a related note, Pellia is an erroneous common name given to a variety of different liverworts.

'Pellia' is really a Monoselenium species (Monoselenium tenerum).
'Round Pellia' is really a Lomariopsis species (Lomariopsis lineata)
and 'Coral\mini Pellia' is really a Riccardia species (Riccardia graeffei or chamedryfolia).

So you can see that none of the species sold in the hobby as Pellia are actually Pellia.
Pellia does exist though, and there are many different Pellia sp. out there (most not suitable for our aquariums).

No wonder I was so confused! Thanks for clearing that up Matt. :thumbup:

So if it is what it says on the tin then I'm after Riccardia chamedryfolia. Maybe I just need to save my pennies :lol:

your welcome. I will probably cross post your question in the growing mosses topic, nice to have all the moss info in one place.

I would post a request up, someone may be kind enough to have a trim for you.

Back