• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Corydora experts please advise me re lighting

lurcher

I have set up a corydora 30 gallon tank in my bedroom.i need help with lighting. If i set up the tank with no added artificial light during the day, can i then use t5 lighting at night for a period of time.or will that be too much light overall. ie daylight only from say 8am to 4 pm at this time of year,then t5 lighting.could you please advise a lighting schedule that will suit the cories and that i can watch them for when going to bed .it is a planted tank,i dont know how many hours i can set t5 for to keep the cories happy while still be able to see them during dark hours. Help would be greatly appreciated.

I wouldn't overly worry about lighting. Natural light until 4pm and then a 6-7 hour photoperiod when you are about will be fine for them. This is basically the setup I have.
The thing with cories is that they tend to be more active in dimmer light conditions anyway so they will love the natural light and be about most during this time. You can encourage them out when you have your lights on by feeding but keep some bushy cover for them to settle in if they don't want to be out.

Dean ,about 10pm, Mort thank you for great help and advice.
4pm - 10pm after the natural daylight will be fine. I have a similar schedule for my aquarium containing corydoras and it suits them fine. I find they’re quite happy to be out and about no matter what the lighting levels are.

cheers

Conor

Yes I was going to say put the light on before the natural light disappears
If then would make the photo period on the tank too long then have the tank light go off and then use the rooms ambient light from bedside lamp etc to view them for the time between the end of the photo period and you going to sleep at 10pm

This will also give the fish a sunrise and sunset

Which species of Corydoras do you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you guys feed cories once daily or twice?
Just the once, however two smaller feeds won’t hurt. The females can put away quite a lot of food when they're being conditioned to spawn.

cheers

Conor

I tend to feed once as well if it's dry food only or twice if I have live food as well (1 live, 1 dry). Mine are on their own so I don't have to worry about them missing out on food but if you have lots of tank mates you might be better with feeding twice or just making sure they get their fill.

I feed all small fish small and often
For a few reason
Fish spend all their day foraging in nature
It promotes better growth and health
Fish remain actively searching for the next meal
It’s a steady flow of nutrients and waste from the fish for the plants snd filters to deal with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back