Corydoras breeder with planted tanks

Discussion in 'Fish' started by dw1305, 30 Jan 2020.

1. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    I've found an interesting video in the <"Practical Fishkeeping - Reader Visit>" section.
    Mark Allison is a very accomplished keeper & breeder of catfish and also a planted tank enthusiast.

cheers Darrel

Last edited: 30 Jan 2020
    Hufsa, PARAGUAY, Gill and 4 others like this.
  2. PARAGUAY

PARAGUAY Member

I read the article and was taken by the many different Cory's he keeps and has kept and bred

dw1305 likes this.
  3. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    It is an amazing list.

One of the criticisms that the "Duckweed Index" (and plants more generally) have received on other forums is "if plants are so good for water quality why doesn't (insert name of famous fish breeder) use them?" It was same with <"matten filters">, a lot of people don't see how they can work, mainly because you can't use <"them as a syphon"> in the same way you could a canister filter.

When you have some-one, who has bred 128 species of Catfish, has tanks that look like this, it refutes a lot of those arguments:

[​IMG]
    cheer Darrel

PARAGUAY, Gill and mort like this.
  4. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

I am not a fish breeder but my Corydoras sterbai regularly spawn on Cryptocoryne leaves in my display tank. Despite egg predation my group has gone up from eight to thirteen and down to nine or ten or so over the years. Difficult to count, seldom all together, often in small sub groups. Seldom find bodies of any fish, I think the L10A's are the clean up squad. Fish on the way out through old age etc are culled if possible.

Majsa, PARAGUAY and dw1305 like this.
  5. Majsa

Majsa Member

These tanks look really nice. I’ve only raised two batches of fry, CPD’s and Kubotais, and wasn’t comfortable with the idea of a bare tank. The CPD fry growed up in a tank without a substrate, but with floating plants and plants tied to decor. Lost many fry due to mistakes, but having plants in the tank was not one of them. I had more success with the Kubotais, now with dark substrate, moss and moss balls, anubias and floating pistia and riccia. I think the fry were hiding in the floating riccia at night and came out to open areas in the morning. I think you can you enjoy their behaviour better if they have the decor to display it.

Oldguy likes this.