• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

corydoras hastatus

CanisDraco

Hey guys, been thinking about what small fish I want to stock in my future 125l and have fallen in love with dwarf corys, in particular c.hastatus, this may well be because I am contrary and they are hard to attain fish :p

Anyone know why they're so much scarcer than c. pygmaeus and c. habrosus? I've never had an answer from shops I've asked apart from "they're not popular so we don't stock them" or "they're not being fished atm". I just like to know more about fish in general and if I can track these down at some point, all the better :)

yes they do seem rare i like them too ! and am on the lookout for a half dozen of them myself if they come up at all seems to be i find the odd obe or two lol
iwould like to by in one go since i want them for a new tank and like to add my fish in groups, :)

Yeah, if I could find enough of them I'd like at least a dozen, maybe two dozen, I have no idea where I'd find such a large group though. I'd probably get them in groups of six if I had the option but, as you said, there's rarely even that many in one place...

Hi all,
I've got a small colony of them I've had for 6 - 7 years, I'm not sure how many I have because I virtually never see them, and they are the most reclusive fish I've ever kept. I've definitely got at least 5 at the moment.

Since I posted this picture on PlanetCatfish of 2 fry (about 2 years ago and just before the sad demise of the male Dicrossus pictured).
corydoras_hastatus_fry4_web_zpscf2265fe.jpg

I get an email every couple of weeks asking me if I have any to sell, some from Europe or N. America, so I assume they are pretty hard to find anywhere.

cheers Darrel

from what ive seen and read they shoal a lot in all sections of the tank and are an active fish :)

Yeah, I've heard that hastatus and pygmy shoal midwater and habrosus spend their time being like a "real cory" and sitting on the substrate. I'm very jealous of your guys Darrel, I can well imagine people asking if you have spare or where you got yours from etc, we need someone to start breeding them and flood the market :D

I've spoken to Tyne Valley before, apparently they got some in by mistake once but can't really get hold of them otherwise, I emailed them (and Rare, Pier Aquatics, Trimar, Abyss and any MAs local to me) a couple of months ago and they've said they'll let me know if any show up, I should probably follow this up though just in case!

My LFS often has shadow cats, they're really pretty and I'm considering going for them if my hastatus quest doesn't pay off... Will have to get a couple more pygmies regardless, feel bad for my little dude, he's being kept company by four otos atm but they're not the same, obviously!

Thanks for the idea Iain! I'll try firing a message to them, anything's worth a shot :)

Yeah, my 70l tank only has the one cory and four otos in it and I'm already not looking forward to catching them! I'm dying to get more fish but there's no point since the upgrade is hopefully happening soon, I'd end up spending more time chasing them with nets than watching them swim about :lol:

I've had Shadow Catfish for a few years, they are very nice and lively, active in daytime. Easy to keep, no special requirements.
A5 Aquatics in Nuneaton had some last week, if you're anywhere near there.

Hi all,
Do they behave like normal corys browsing the substrate most of the time or like pygmy corys swimming in the middle?
I've kept all 3 species of "pygmy" Corydoras. From what I've found Corydoras habrosus is just like a bigger cory, they sit on the sand in a group, and occasionally have a small swim around.
Corydoras pygmaeus spends some of their time on the sand, or often perched on a rounded pebble or low leaf. They also swim around more then the C. habrosus, and occasionally visit the upper layers of the tank.

Corydoras hastatus are more active and spends a lot more time swimming, but mine never come out of the cover, I just see flashes of them amongst the plants and leaf litter. This is true even when I feed micro-worms, which really makes them forage actively. If I turn the filter off they will appear and "peak" out of the top of the plant mass, but they never come out into the open. With the filter off they briefly shoal like a Tetra, but always within gaps within the vegetation, a few moments later they all swim off, and that is the last I see of them.

I've gone months without seeing them, and I didn't realise I had any left at all at one point.

cheers Darrel

Just an update, I've found them in stock in two places near to me (AquaLife in Leyland and Abyss in Stockport, if anyone wants to know) I've already got pygmys and habrosus in my tank but I may have to pick up some of these as well because I've searched for them for so long...

I also managed to find some from ripples aquatics in Shenstone none left now as me and my mate bought the lot (30) but did find wharf aquatics in Nottingham and sjxhills in Grimsby also have them at the moment

Back