• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Corys - Shrimp Safe?

As all cories have down turns mouths and barbels in the way they probably would struggle to eat many baby shrimp. They couldn't eat an adult shrimp. The only 100% shrimp safe fish are ottocinclus. Having any largish fish in the tank will most likely make shrimp hide more but if their are plenty of hiding places and not too many fish the cherries will happily breed to maintain and increase their population.

I have already had several Otos but they all died, they're the only fish that havn't done well in my setup. I have no idea why. All other fish I've had have been healthy

I hear a lot of people say this but mine have done great even in hard alkaline water. I have heard people say that some of the methods for catching them are very damaging and also that they are starved by the time they get to the shop. The combination of so many stresses and lack of food means that many die. However if your lfs quarantines and feed them well on suitable food they should be fine, I find mine to be fairly hardy once acclimatised.

Reactions: tim
As mentioned above, Corydoras shouldn't harm adult shrimps, they will likely eat baby shrimps but I am very doubtful that they will actively hunt down the babies, so I'm sure they won't do any noticeable damage to the population. The pygmy and Cory Habrosus should do very well with the shrimps and their size will allow you to stock more of them compared to your average Bronze Cory. It is also likely that they will breed in your aquariums but like what foxfish said, shrimps may take some eggs away however, there is a chance that you can get some fry from them.

Hi, our sons tank has 5 pigmys in. I've also added crs and they have had shrimplets and survived and don't seem bothered I've even seen them resting together on the wood. Pigmys are funny things very entertaining watching all there effort for the little distance they travel.

I have approx 15 bronze corys in my tank, along with 15 or so lemon tetras and 12 black phantoms. Also have 50+ cherry shrimp.... no issues at all.

Back