Could I source my own cheap CO2 kit?

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by Jack middleton, 27 Oct 2009.

1. Jack middleton

Jack middleton Member

Hi all, I want to inject CO2 into my 125 litre, but my mum doesn't like the Idea of me tampering with an extinguisher, not that its really any different than attatching a reg to a CO2 bottle, :rolleyes:

I was thinking, would it be possible to source a CO2 bottle, solenoid, reg, check valve, bubble counter, CO2 line and diffuser cheaper than a kit?

I was thinking of buying a CO2 bottle, and then following the fire extinguisher CO2 guide. but i don't know where to start with equipment.

Can anyone recommend a reg, solenoid and needle valve all in one?

Cheers, Jack :thumbup:

2. gratts

gratts Member

3. Jack middleton

Jack middleton Member

Cheers, Would these regs fit Welding gas bottles?

4. gratts

gratts Member

Not sure what thread welding bottles take, and whether it's universal throughout?
    They'll fit fire extinguishers straight out the box though..If you can get around Mum's worries then that'll be your cheapest option :)

5. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

If the reg fits a JBL co2 bottle, it'll fit a welding bottle as they all have a standard size. HOWEVER, bear in mind the small disposable 600g cylinders are different. If you want to use those you need to get a sealey or draper regulator for disposable cylinders.

Check this out.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=7696

Sam :)

6. Jack middleton

Jack middleton Member

Cheers, sam :)

7. Bobtastic

Bobtastic Member

Are there any negatives to using a FE cylinder over the cylinders you get from Aquatic shops (the likes of TGM)?

I ask as my gf is extremely nervous about using FE cylinders but seems to be happier about using a complete system bought through TGM. I wouldn't mind as they are not much more expensive, but the cylinders they sell are £75 for a 3kg which is quite a bit more expensive that a 2kg FE...

Is there really much of a difference between the two cylinders, enough to be worrying about it?

8. Garuf

Garuf Member

Yes you can, the german ones are the best, I personally don't like the oriental ones, the quality just isn't the same.
    aquiversand is the seller I got mine from and it cost something like £50 for everything but the fire extinguisher.

9. baron von bubba

baron von bubba Member

no, there is very little difference, the reg still has to be screwed on and off in the same manor.
    not sure if you will get the "proper" bottle filled up at many fire extinguisher places, altho the place i use to recharge my FE's also fills up the local fish shops CO2 bottles, who then triple the price.
    may be best to try and source a good place to get fill ups before you make the decision!

or rather your GF makes the decision! :lol:

10. Bobtastic

Bobtastic Member

Lol, thanks BvB! A very good point. I would have assumed that if the regs fit on to both that they have a standard size value and there wouldn't be a problem filling them up at the same place...

11. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

There is totally no difference between the different cylinders, the pressure is the same, same gas, same risks. They also test the cylinders and if it doesn't pass they dont give it to you and tell you to sort it, they chop it in half so you can never use it again!!

All that said, pressurised gas, is pressurised gas, you've got to be sensible about it.

Its also worth remembering that BY LAW companies HAVE to have FE's in case of fire!! They cant be that risky!! :lol:

Sam

12. Jack middleton

Jack middleton Member

Thanks everyone :)