• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Could I source my own cheap CO2 kit?

Hi all, I want to inject CO2 into my 125 litre, but my mum doesn't like the Idea of me tampering with an extinguisher, not that its really any different than attatching a reg to a CO2 bottle, :rolleyes:

I was thinking, would it be possible to source a CO2 bottle, solenoid, reg, check valve, bubble counter, CO2 line and diffuser cheaper than a kit?

I was thinking of buying a CO2 bottle, and then following the fire extinguisher CO2 guide. but i don't know where to start with equipment.

Can anyone recommend a reg, solenoid and needle valve all in one?

Cheers, Jack :thumbup:

Not sure what thread welding bottles take, and whether it's universal throughout?
They'll fit fire extinguishers straight out the box though..If you can get around Mum's worries then that'll be your cheapest option :)

Are there any negatives to using a FE cylinder over the cylinders you get from Aquatic shops (the likes of TGM)?

I ask as my gf is extremely nervous about using FE cylinders but seems to be happier about using a complete system bought through TGM. I wouldn't mind as they are not much more expensive, but the cylinders they sell are £75 for a 3kg which is quite a bit more expensive that a 2kg FE...

Is there really much of a difference between the two cylinders, enough to be worrying about it?

Yes you can, the german ones are the best, I personally don't like the oriental ones, the quality just isn't the same.
aquiversand is the seller I got mine from and it cost something like £50 for everything but the fire extinguisher.

Bobtastic said:
Are there any negatives to using a FE cylinder over the cylinders you get from Aquatic shops (the likes of TGM)?

I ask as my gf is extremely nervous about using FE cylinders but seems to be happier about using a complete system bought through TGM. I wouldn't mind as they are not much more expensive, but the cylinders they sell are £75 for a 3kg which is quite a bit more expensive that a 2kg FE...

Is there really much of a difference between the two cylinders, enough to be worrying about it?

no, there is very little difference, the reg still has to be screwed on and off in the same manor.
not sure if you will get the "proper" bottle filled up at many fire extinguisher places, altho the place i use to recharge my FE's also fills up the local fish shops CO2 bottles, who then triple the price.
may be best to try and source a good place to get fill ups before you make the decision!

or rather your GF makes the decision! :lol:

There is totally no difference between the different cylinders, the pressure is the same, same gas, same risks. They also test the cylinders and if it doesn't pass they dont give it to you and tell you to sort it, they chop it in half so you can never use it again!!

All that said, pressurised gas, is pressurised gas, you've got to be sensible about it.

Its also worth remembering that BY LAW companies HAVE to have FE's in case of fire!! They cant be that risky!! :lol:

Sam

Back