• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Could someone advise me on discus...?

Vito

Hey everyone,

I would like to keep a single or maybe a pair of discus but im not so sure if my setup is even suitable for them at all, and im am inexperianced with them so I would appriciate some friendly advice when its comes to these expensive fish...

I have a rio 125 - Is it big enough?
I have a Tetratec EX1200 - Will the flow be overkill for them?
Do I need RO unit?
Do I need to add anything extra to my filter? I have all the trtratec Filter meadia minus the carbon and I added some eheim supstrat pro.
I have 35 Green Neons, 5 Red eye Tetra, 4 Otto's and many cherry shrimp. will any of these guys be at threat from the discus?

Thants all the questions I can think about right now. At the moment I dont think its possible in my setup but I could be wrong, any comments would be a great help.

Vito

i'm not a discus expert by any means, but i do know that they are quite social fish so keeping one wouldn't really be fair. i don't think keeping one of any fish is fair to be honest, unless it is required. you then need to think about your tank size... 125l isn't that big. i'm sure someone will come along who's more up on discus soon, though.

Tank is a little small unless your only going to keep juvenille fish to grow on for a bigger tank later but a group of at least five that are kept together from day 1 is prefferable. The flow shouldn't bother them too much and can be ratcheted back with that filter anyway if you think it is, the filter is fine. In my opinion yes you would need an RO unit a lot may depend on the quality of your tapwater. The golden rule for discuss is to keep your nitrates as low as you can and your temperature high, therefore the higher temperatures required for discus may not suit the other critters that you already have and the more critters that you have in the tank the more nitrate will be produced. If its a planted tank and you are going to dose nitrates aswell then you could run into problems. Trouble with discuss is problems can prove very expensive. Think about it if you have 5 fish worth £100 each and you loose the lot through a simple mistake then its bound to hurt.

angelfish would be a good alternatie, not as colourful but you can keep less of them and in a smaller tank.

Back