• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Could someone help me decide what to buy please?

Miss-Pepper

My birthday is coming up soon, and I'd like to kindly ask family for a new light fixture. I'm currently lighting my 30"x15"x12" tank with a clamp CFL bulb haha I can see enough to look at the fish and my java fern survives but I'd like to try my second attempt at a planted tank. We're not talking high demand plants though - probably swords, anubias, java ferns, crypts, etc so I don't want to OD on lighting and get algae again. I have no CO2 but if someone could recommend pressurised CO2 (under £100) I might be able to set that up too.

It is a toss up between this t5 or this planted LED fixture

I like the idea behind LED - lower running costs, 'shimmer effect' from water turbulence but other than that is it worth the price difference? The LED one is only just the right size for my tank, but the one up is too dear to ask for as a gift :)

Any other suggestions are welcome thanks.

Haha nothing is wrong with that, but my family always request a proper ideas list! So why not get something I'll use :) trying not to overdo it on price though obviously.

I think the former is for marine aquariums - 10000k bulb and an actinic - so it's not really suitable for a planted tank aesthetically and it'll be great at growing algae (you'd be better off with a bulb that has a colour temp of around 6500k, give or take). IMO even 1 HO T5 would be overkill for your plant selection especially without CO2. Not sure about the LED, but of the two it seems to be the better option. Perhaps you could take a look at these from a UKAPS sponsor - Lighting. I'm sure they could also advise you on which one was most appropriate.

As for CO2 under £100 - it can be done using a fire extinguisher, you just need to shop around, I think I did it for just over. Try these links -Best reg? | Page 2 | UK Aquatic Plant Society & Fire extinguisher CO2 | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Thanks Troi, replacing bulbs in a t5 isn't a problem if you think algae would crop up from the colour range. But like you said, that's quite high lighting for just a small 30" with low light plants, the problem I'm finding is getting a fixture long enough but with fewer bulbs. Most people want more more more when it comes to light I guess. I'll take a look at the link you posted after work :D thanks.

Hi, perhaps I needed to be a bit more careful with my phrasing. It's not the colour temp that will encourage algae but 48 watts of HO T5. So even if you replace the bulbs with 6500k ones, algae will more likely than not become an issue. If you're going to keep things low-energy I'd recommend 1 x T5. That is if you keep the lighting period relatively short 6 - 8 hrs, at least to begin with. If you're going to inject CO2 and dose fertz, 2 x T5 bulbs may be ok, using a similar lighting period, especially if you intend to plant densely, but it's perhaps still overkill considering your plant selection.

I have the beamswork 24'' on my 24'' tank and there is a basic review in this lighting forum as to what I've grown with it. I've also used it without co2 and just got a little bba so I raised it. I've had mine for at least a year and had no probs with it. Not sure of coverage on your bigger tank though. You can also see it in my journal 54l 'the nook'.

Ok thanks for clearing that up Troi, I agree the 48W was looking a bit strong - I'd rather not have co2 if avoidable so I think the LEDs are looking the better option unless I can find a single long t5.

Thank Idc, I'll check out your journal :)

Well the LEDs are looking to be the best option then, might have to chuck a load of floating plants in as well if it's too much. Thanks for the guidance :)

Back