• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Couple of questions (sorry if on the wrong section)

Murphy-18

I have two questions, not particularly the same topic but i didnt want to make 2 seperate threads.

I have just currently setup a DIY co2 thing. Now im sure ive read somewhere before that with pressurized co2 you cannot have the surface of the water moving because the co2 escapes, does this apply for my setup? has the surface got to be completely still, what about when my powerhead is on, with the aeration attacthment, does that make a difference?

And secondly, i have a piece of bogwood, and yesterday i attached some Golden Nana to it, as i left it out for a bit whlst waiting for the glue to dry, i went downstairs to have a beer and some BBQ :) , however i completely forgot about it being left out, it must have been about 2-3 hours, the window was open too, the leaves of the plants were bone dry and shrivelled? I put it back in the tank straight away, it doesnt look the best. Will it revive or will the leaves just die off and new ones grow? is the plant stil alive?

Again apologies for posting 2 seperate questions.

Any help very much appreciated.

1, there should be some movement of the surface of the water, ant airation or air stones shouldnt be used this will help keep the co2 in the water long enough for the plants to use it!

2, you might be lucky that the plant isnt dead but dry leaves are useless and i would think to remove them so they dont cause algie!

someone else on here will be able to help more but i hope i have helped a bit :D

Matt

Murphy-18 said:
I have just currently setup a DIY co2 thing. Now im sure ive read somewhere before that with pressurized co2 you cannot have the surface of the water moving because the co2 escapes, does this apply for my setup? has the surface got to be completely still, what about when my powerhead is on, with the aeration attacthment, does that make a difference?
When I used DIY CO2 in my tank (125l) I noticed that I needed to run two bottles on it to have any decent CO2 in the tank, this cause the CO2 levels to be very high for the fish but perfect for the plants, so during lights out I used an air pump to pump oxygen into the tank to give the fish a break. Worked pretty well. The more surface aggitation you have no matter if you use DIY or Pressurised the more CO2 you will loose, I keep mine to a minimum.
You should not have the aeration attachement during lights on otherwise you eliminate the point of having CO2 in the tank, just use an air pump during light out and to go off 2 hours before lights come on.

Back