• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Coventry Fly In - Vulcan XH588

Steve Smith

Had an opportunity to see the restored Vulcan bomber fly into my local airport as part of a "Fly in". A fly in is sort of like an airshow, but with less air display. Private aircraft are invited to attend and essentially fly in for the public to come and oggle at. They also usually have some air displays, but not as many as an airshow (to avoid the health and safety red tape etc).

Anyway, a few snaps from the day (click to go to Flickr):

Vulcan landing

5026401725_ce1a3e570e_z.jpg

DeHavilland Venom

5027046428_5cd3fa800d.jpg

Douglas DC6 in hanger

5026407115_29b3ff23aa.jpg

Vulcan Taking off (Nice and patriotic!)

5026687465_7489e268dd.jpg

Canbera

5027022104_9d0f882336.jpg

More photos here...

looka great, did not know about this would have bought the little one to watch the planes.

lovely shots there :)

I was having an oggle at the Vulcan two weeks ago when I flew into RAF Brize norton, wish we still used them!

Swish, swish, swish!

My dad uS told me storys of his time in the RAF when they where on call in the cold war. Hundreds of Vulcans taking off one after another. They sounded intense. I would love to see one fly. Only ever walked around one at RAF Cosford.

It's my ambition to go to a propper air show one day. It just never seems to happen for me.

Great pictures Steve.

The Vulcan holds some memories for me. My dad was one of the founders of the Midland Air Museum (or at least the group which then became the museum) and was a trustee for many years. I spent many of my summers as a child playing in all sorts of old aircraft, including a Vulcan which they have. I can still remember the leathery smell inside on a hot summers day :)

Looks like you had a great day out steve,nice pics too mate,
regards,
john.

looks a great day John, how nice looking is the DeHavilland Venom???. Lovely pic mate

Back