CPD Fry

JM155

Hi all

I have been keeping CPDs in my 57l Dennerle Scaper’s tank for a few months now. Out of the blue, I found a couple of fry in the tank. I had a spare 30l nano cube in the garage so set that up quickly. I was able to find one of the fry and move him into the nano cube.

It was absolutely tiny, around the size of an eyelash. I have never raised fry before but would love to keep him/her alive and be able to look after any others going forward.

Does anyone have any advice on looking after CPD fry? Mainly thinking food wise? I am pretty sure the CPDs caused my Red Cherry Shrimp population to fall in a big way, so don’t trust them with anything that is small and moves!

Thanks in advance.

Simon Cole

Infusoria, paramecium, nematodes (walter worms, vinegar worms, micro worms etc.) and cyclops.
I have an amazing diversity of small organisms that colonise my new tanks, including detritus worms, ostracods, tubifex worms, and cyclops - so basically I always have a tank free to offer to fry. If you can set up a few tubs with plants in them on your window sill, then you'll probably get some nice natural cultures too. I add pollen into my tanks to encourage healthy quantities of these organisms.

Majsa

I had a small breeding project this winter. I have these 7 swimming in their parents' tank now, they are doing well. Food wise, they need to be fed a lot when they are tiny, maybe up to 6-7 feedings per day depending on what they get and how established the tank is. The first two weeks are the hardest, I lost ±50% of the fry on the second week most likely due to not feeding them enough :oops: They took:
Infusoria (but I started the culture when the eggs were laid so late) and some JBL NobilFluid from free swimming
Vinegar eels after ±4 days
Microworms after ±10 days
BBS, powdered dry food etc. after ±2 weeks
I hope this helps, they are such lovely fish! I see an odd fry in the CPD tank once in a while now, but they don't survive there :( Maybe you can try a moss trap for collecting eggs?

DianeC

I had a similar dilemma with some WCMM fry. Went to my ( now gone) LFS who recommended Interpet Liquifry No 1 for the first week followed by finely ground flake food. I managed to raise most of the fry in a breeding cage inside my Spec V. 19 litres before moving them to a recently purchased bigger tank. You can buy it on Amazon ( after the dog pinched and ate the first one!)

Monkfish

Sorry, not meaning to hijack this thread, but I have some CPD fry growing on too and wondered at what point is it ok to add them to the main tank? Is it just a case of waiting for them the be bigger than the largest mouth? haha.

Majsa

Mine joined the parents at 12 weeks, but I don't think you have to wait that long. Just wanted to be sure they are OK with 1-2 feedings per day.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Fisher2007 Emerald line rasbora rasbora and CPD's Fish 4
jameson_uk Raising Cory Fry Fish 6
R Corydoras fry found in cannister filter, advice please Fish 13
J Fry Fish 9
Stacy Williams German Blue Ram Fry Fish 6