• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Creating a 2 sided scape

colmans

Hi, I'm looking to install an Aquascaper 900 but with views from both sides (effectively an island). Any thoughts on whether I could really create the feeling of depth from both sides or whether one side view would always suffer? I hope that makes sense!

Cheers

Johnny

Johnny

I am not saying it cannot be done. In all my years of design work and Aquascaping Forums I have seen a few tanks viewed from both sides and fewer from three sides and can look excellent but never what you are asking about. The only position the Focal Vanishing Point I think would have to be in the center of the tank and, that would not be easy at all.

Keith:wave::greenfinger:

Not the same two sides but ADG did a fantastic 60U scape
(there is another hardscape only video short)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsyWNSMhXFr/

Unfortunately the subsequent photos/video following this scape are no longer availabile

Balbi Vaquero has done some scapes that are amazing viewed end-on (though as I recall, most are designed for front and one end viewing)

Your task would be easier managed in a 120cm tank rather than a 90cm
Hardscape design is vital, also plant choices and management (shaping through trimming/thinning etc)

I’d not try to manage this with an “island” surrounded by “beach” - there’s simply not enough length in the 90cm to accomplish this

Don’t forget when viewing scapes online, photography equipment choices enhance the depth perspectives - real life viewing is less easily tricked

Green aqua have two tanks designed to be viewed from all sides. Dave Chow has recently rescaped one. They may provide some inspiration!

Johnny
This is a 4 point vanishing point, is this what you are thinking it can be viewed from 4 sides of your tank. It is possibly more suited for a shallow tank.

lp-intro.gif

Thanks guys, that Green Aqua tank is pretty darn nice! I think I my have got the initial question slightly wrong :). I'm not too worried about the two sides of the tank. More just the front and back views. But completely get the point that it would need more depth as well to try and achieve something that looks good from both sides.

Johnny

That makes it a lot easier the 4 Point vanishing point works perfectly for a tank that is viewed from the two basically front sides.

What every you decide to do using a Mock Tank would certainly help and save a lot of work.

I once had the same idea, but really never got to it..I found the James Findley scapes very inspirational.

Fire breathing Vulcano diorama, an island in a cube.

The same scape but replanted into Jungle style

Another multi-point view but in a rectangular tank.

He did a few more, but all are oldtimers by now and over 6 to 8 years ago. All got a bit overshadowed with newer material. But i guess doing a good search you still can find the making of videos.

Back