• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Creating Java Fern Bunches

Nubias

Hi all,

Forever seeing these nice large bunches of java fern getting placed into aquascapes on youtube etc. but I don't have the availability of these. Mine came in rock wool pots and the rhizomes are quite thin with small root structures, I have maybe aprox. 6-8 rhizomes of each up to 80mm long with 6-10 leaves each could I tie these together with black cotton to create more of a bunch look? this should then be able to be placed a bit better within my current scape.

I have both needle and trident versions so thinking about a bunch of each.

Yes, there is no reason you cant bunch together many small rhizomes and tie them to a rock or some wood, I have done this before, you may find the rhizomes become all tangled together when they start to grow but this doesn't really matter.

Thanks,
Have done it, was worried about it strangling the rhizome but using cotton hopefully degrades by the time the rhizomes have taken hold of the hardscape.

yes you can.

Also if you give them excellent growing conditions, they will naturally thicken up and almost choke themselves.

Absolutely no expert at all, but I found the needle version gave a much better "clump". I'll be using it again.

Back