• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Criticism and opinions on my first tank?

It's not finished yet, just started with a few simple plants too see how well they do. The exo lighthood is also temporary until my new bulb arrives. It's only a 2ft T5, the tank is 2.5ft. Does this sound ok for a low light, no c02 set up? I wanted to start simple.

How does it look so far? Any advice? Criticism? Any opinion will be greatly welcomed.

I'd put some more plants in there, you can put as many plants as you want in a low tech tank.

Whys there so much sand in there?

PDSimon said:
I'd put some more plants in there, you can put as many plants as you want in a low tech tank.

Whys there so much sand in there?

It wasn't intentional, I added the plant substrate, noticed I had a bout 1/4 of the bag left so thought, I'll just add this as well. Once I'd finished with the sand I realised how deep it was.

Whats the new lighting you've ordered? Might be that you don't need new lighting for low tech?

with that much fine sand your substrate will probably compact and go anaerobic. you should sort this out sooner rather than later...

wearsbunnyslippers said:
with that much fine sand your substrate will probably compact and go anaerobic. you should sort this out sooner rather than later...

There's not even a cm of sand above the plant substrate, is this still a problem?

PDSimon said:
Whats the new lighting you've ordered? Might be that you don't need new lighting for low tech?

I have a T5 starter lying around which I thought would fit nicely in the hood. The hood came with no light and matches the cabinet, so would like to use it.

wearsbunnyslippers said:

There is no problem with anaerobic conditions in a planted tank assuming there are a reasonable amount of plants in there.

That is one of those non planted problems that people transfer into the planted world. Different systems though. Not a problem at all.

I have had more sand than that in without a plant substrate underneath. You will be fine :)

(As long as you plant it up more)

AC

SuperColey1 said:
wearsbunnyslippers said:

There is no problem with anaerobic conditions in a planted tank assuming there are a reasonable amount of plants in there.

That is one of those non planted problems that people transfer into the planted world. Different systems though. Not a problem at all.

I have had more sand than that in without a plant substrate underneath. You will be fine :)

(As long as you plant it up more)

AC

Ah good stuff.

I'm just being cautious, once I see those plants doing ok I'll add much more.

Any reccomendations?

I'm finding this so much more tricky than planted terrariums, I'm outside my comfort zone!

Is there any hardscape on the left of the tank? I can't really see from the image.

If not, maybe add some Java fern onto your wood, that would look quite nice, some stem plants to go in the back?

There isn't, no. Just the nut pod.

I wanted a sort of, flowing down from the right side look. With the wood creeping out from the plants and the sand sloping down into the corner.

Image in my head =/= Actual design.

I'm probably not the best person to help (lol) as my idea of aquascaping currently is the stick it in and see what it looks scape but if I were you I would get some tanks that you like, or plants and then its easier to help.

I found the tropica website useful when picking plants... there are plently of scapes about to help you pick what plants you want

Back