• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Critique my hardscape

Matt Havens

Just trying to set up for a high ish tech 130L. Please comment!
68b00ebb05362cc767466a6394576a77.jpg

fd360b2cb32d36321c7ef8b5f5c3052a.jpg

1c1c655d1c92598ff7003dc0db2b1d74.jpg

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Hi!
It looks great already! If there is something to comment about, the rock from the left side can be that. Too big for that place.
I think its place is somewhere behind the root from same side. Plant list could be useful for other comments!

Hi!
It looks great already! If there is something to comment about, the rock from the left side can be that. Too big for that place.
I think its place is somewhere behind the root from same side.

Thanks Silviu. You mean like this?

c67f31342921bb69feac20c4d8ae4e3c.jpg

Yes, even more in the back, together with small root from the front. But it depends what planting area you have in mind. If you are planing to have grass in the front then more space there could help. In such hardscape I see much moss and Bucephalandras, maybe some Anubias Petite and Pinto. And a lot of Eleocharis Pusilla Mini in the front side. Do you have any plant list?

Yes, even more in the back, together with small root from the front. But it depends what planting area you have in mind. If you are planing to have grass in the front then more space there could help. In such hardscape I see much moss and Bucephalandras, maybe some Anubias Petite and Pinto. And a lot of Eleocharis Pusilla Mini in the front side. Do you have any plant list?
Yes I have purchased many plants. Mainly tissue culture. My main planting goal is to fill up the back with tall and bushy stems with lots of colour in the middle through the arch and colour in the left third behind the wood and rocks. I have plenty of HC Cuba that's been growing emersed as a carpet. I will update with a list shortly.

Planting will have to wait till tomorrow evening now. The girlfriend will be getting a lesson on plant preparation

I did think about that, i do have a glass lid but I was planning on using the Tropica 30 day app guide which instructs flooding on day 1. Hmm

Has anyone had any experience using mainly tissue culture plants?

I did think about that, i do have a glass lid but I was planning on using the Tropica 30 day app guide which instructs flooding on day 1. Hmm

I am using Tropica's 90 days app right now in a 45 litters tank. Don't know what to say. I've followed all steps very accurate. I am in the Day 23 and NO2 is 0,2!!!
Indeed, no algae problem and the animals are OK but still ...

Plant List:

HC Cuba
Utricularia graminifolia
Hydro sp. Japan
Riccia fluitans

Myriophyllum Guyana
Hygrophila 'Araguaia'
Rotala Vietnam
Rotala H'ra
Rotala nanjenshan
Rotala Macrandra

Marsilea hirsute
Staurogyne Porto Velho
Staurogyne Repens cuttings
Ammania sp. 'Bonsai'
Cryptocoryne pygmaea
Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii'
Cryptocoryne walkerii ?

Ludwigia mini super red
Hygrophila pinnatifida
Bucephalandra 'Deep Purple'
Bucephalandra 'Wavy Green'
Bucephalandra Maya
Anubias nana 'Paxing'
Anubias Bolang
Anubias nana petite
Anubias unknown?

Xmas moss
Java "
Spiky "
Taiwan "
Cameroon "
Fissidens fontanus
And more...

6c63213bb95ce8443b9f883278721179.jpg

Thanks

Nice list!
Take care with Urticularia. It is very difficult to fix it on substrat. Maybe you should attache it on a kind of sieve,
like those used for Coral Moss.
And ... good luck!

Nice list!
Take care with Urticularia. It is very difficult to fix it on substrat. Maybe you should attache it on a kind of sieve,
like those used for Coral Moss.
And ... good luck!
I had on a previous tank used Riccardia attached to wood with aquatic glue. I have a spare piece of mesh I could use fur the UG, does this grow over wood and rocks?

Matt

To be perfectly honest I do not either of those two rocks front L & R hand corners its extremely distracting to what is going to develop into an excellent well planted natural looking Aquascape. The main reasons being they are acting as if they are trying to frame your Aquascape and saying this is where it starts and finishes.

Keith:wave::wave:

Matt

To be perfectly honest I do not either of those two rocks front L & R hand corners its extremely distracting to what is going to develop into an excellent well planted natural looking Aquascape. The main reasons being they are acting as if they are trying to frame your Aquascape and saying this is where it starts and finishes.

Thanks Keith!

Now that you have pointed them out to me I can see they are also placed at the wrong angle.
I removed them and it looked much better but I didn't stop and have moved too much around. Not happy at all now and have tried different stones and ended up with this.
3527322f75962e11c536b09e71c0b100.jpg

A bit happier now but I am not finished, I don't think so anyway. Still going to add more aquarium soil to create more height in the back. I would also like to add some soil powder over the top to help the carpeting plants.

Last edited:
Matt
The LH side I would try to rotate it from the front so the back closes up the pathway at the back but leaves the front as it is. If it works which it should would give it more perspective.

Keith :wave::wave:

A small move around, I have a lot more planting room at the back left now. Filled the back up with substrate but I think I want more of a slope, I'm using Tropica AS with about 2cm of tropica substrate in heavy planting areas.

I feel I will like it a lot more when the plants fill out and finally planted hopefully tomorrow night.
de55c7985e102117f90104daaae15107.jpg

a1a62e7f2fc0193ca0340fd0cf6cca07.jpg

Last edited:
Matt

Now you created what looks like two Aquascapes with a big parallel gap in the middle.
Matt%20UKPS%2016.11.17%20_edited-1.jpg

This is what I am referring to. Move it to about that area red line

Finished at 1 AM this morning.

I really need to get on with planting tonight. My plants are starting to die in the bags.
dcd7b402fa0cc98edda58c798d26cea3.jpg

Keith, I have played around with this area and I could not get it right. This piece of driftwood I think finishes it off. I hope you agree, thanks for the input! Just need a second opinion sometimes.

Back