• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape

Marios

Hi all,

I am currently awaiting for my cabinet to arrive and decided to experiment with my scape while waiting. I would appreciate if I can have your comments and/or suggestions.

tempImageKKsiSI.png

FYI, the TV will be lifted a further 30 cm to give some space for the lighting unit (Chihiros WRGB 2), which will be mounted with the help of some metal shelf brackets.
The tank's dimensions are Width: 140 cm x Depth: 40 cm x Height 30 cm. For filtration and circulation, I will be using the JBL e1502 with an additional powerhead rated at 2000l/h. The aquarium will be using Co2 inline injection and inline heater.

Still haven't decided on the type of rocks to be used and the kind of foreground (full carpet or mix of carpet with areas of white/cream sand (la plata for instance)), so your comments and suggestions on this are also welcome.

I like it and think it flows nicely so far. I'm not an aquascaper but hopefully some of them can help.

I agree with Angus, sand with some mixxed in gravel for natural appearace with some sections where the green around/on the wood spills into it would be nice. As for rock, I am a big fan of (grey/dark) river rock atm, or simple ardennes stone, either way not the very prominent seiryu, elephant or dragon stone, but something subdued that merely adds to the wood without vying for attention. Very nice start to work from!

Thanks for you inputs Angus and Wolf6. Will definitely consider your stones suggestions.

Pat1cp, hopefully it won't be much of a distraction!😂

Very nice, I like what you've done. Some small rocks might help ground the wood, it'd add another dimension.

I'd be interested to see what it'd look like with the RH piece shoved tight up against the other piece and both angled toward the back a bit more than they are at the moment. It'd create more negative space on the RH side and perhaps a little more tension. It may also help to break up the line of the wood across the front and perhaps give a more natural appearance.

It'd also be good to see what it looks like with the RH piece turned to face the LH piece, with a similar gap in the middle. Angled so the large piece points toward the back and the smaller piece toward the front.

FYI, the TV will be lifted a further 30 cm to give some space for the lighting unit (Chihiros WRGB 2), which will be mounted with the help of some metal shelf brackets.

Your scape looks very good. However, you should think twice about placing a TV or any other electronic or electrical device that lacks IP protection over an open aquarium. Your 140x40 aquarium has a surface of ~0.6m2 and will lose several litres of water per week due to evaporation even if you keep it at room temp.

Back