• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my tank please

OwenB21

This is my first proper tank. I’d really appreciate any advice or constructive criticism that anyone may have. It’s a low tech tank that I wouldn’t really consider an aquascape but always looking on how to improve.
I know I could do with getting my plant mass up, any plant recommendations would be great. Once I have more plants in I’m looking to get rid of the last ornament that I have in there and try and hide the filter I have in the tank.
Cheers

Attachments

• DAE39B5E-675A-4B82-8F06-6AB84CC4AE42.jpeg
    DAE39B5E-675A-4B82-8F06-6AB84CC4AE42.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 310
Hi all,
Plant growth looks pretty good. You could trim your moss and then staple (or tie) the cuttings onto different areas of wood?
I know I could do with getting my plant mass up, any plant recommendations would be great.
"Floating Fern" <"Ceratopteris thalictroides is a good one">, <"you can often get it"> from <"Pets@Home">.

It is the fern in @Parablennius 's <"Floaters"> post. I like Hornwort (<"Ceratophyllum demersum">) and Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) <"as well">, although you may find them more difficult to purchase.

dscf2076-jpg-jpg.jpg

<"Longer term"> I would try some more ferns. I like Bolbitis heudelotii, and "Java Fern" (Microsorum pteropus) is also a good one.

I'd also get some more Cryptocoryne spp., any that take your fancy would do, but C. wendtii or C. beckettii cultivars and C. x willisii are all pretty bomb proof.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Looks good! If you wanted to try making the wood look more "lived in" for want of a better expression, i'd second Darrel's suggestion about attaching some moss to it or perhaps other epiphytes.
Could even try monte carlo, as it grows in non-co2 and co2 conditions.

My brother has a juwel tank, so a horrible big box filter in the corner, and he uses hygrophila corymbosa to hide it. It's a good choice because it's easy to grow, easy to control and grows rigid enough to easily cover things.

I think you are on to a good start as it is, so just keep going.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions👍🏼 Off to order some more plants haha

Back