• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

critique needed on iwagumi

samc

i will soon be setting up an 12x10x8 iwagumi (or two :rolleyes: )and have got some dragon stone which i could'nt resist trying some positioning out. this is my first iwagumi so my rock positioning isnt that great althought im learning.

here are a few iv been trying out:

dsc02055lm9.jpg
(1)

dsc02057al0.jpg
(2)

dsc02058ta6.jpg
(3)

dsc02059sj4.jpg
(4)

dsc02060mx0.jpg
(5)
which one do you like?
they are some of my ideas at the minuet if anyone has any ideas or how to improve any let me know ;)

I've got the same tank as you're suggesting and I think you might find the rocks too overpowering, I'm finding it difficult to get a good balance between power of composition and planting.

for me, 4 follows the ideas of iwagumi more than the others. i'm not doubting the other lay outs as there good also. it's just 4 works better.

you may want to consider just using 3 stones.

1 x main stone.
1 x sub
1 x supporting/backbone

unless of course your using a bigger tank, then more stone.

ultimately it's your preference :D

I've been looking at the ada nanos from their gallery and most if not all break their own rule and use 1-2 stones and rarely 4-5. I'm looking at doing something like those but I'm finding my rock collection insufficient.

rules can be broken. but then rocks are not always about iwagumi and its rules. i reckon some of those nano scapes at NA gallery are not supposed to be iwagumis. some maybe but not all.

in my latest edition of aquajournal amano sets up a 60cm with just 3 stones. it has TONS of impact

NA book 1....30cm tanks 2 stones visible. the smaller you go the less stone

I much prefer layout 4. If you enphasized the change in direction of the rock at the bottom right, and follow the lines of the main rock from top right hand corer, down to the bottom left hand corner, you will have an aquascape with much more impact. Scape 3 doesnt sit well with me. Having two large stones leaning the same way makes it look unbalanced and as if its ready to fall over to the right.

Cheers.

Back