• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique needed please!

Wayney

As the title suggests I'm looking for some views on a hardscape that I've literally just thrown together.
All comments good and bad are welcome so come on guys and get stuck in :lol:

007-5.jpg

009-7.jpg

Regards Wayne,

firstly, can i say it was nice to meet you wayne at the ukaps meet. :D

ok, for me i'd try to make more of an island with the stones making up the base. thats not to say what youve done is wrong BTW...its not!.ultimately, it depends on the planting scheme whether certain arrangements work. id maybe push the whole thing back a tad?...it lacks that sense of depth IMO....unless of course you plan on stuffing the back with plants. remember you dont need acres of room at the back for stems as the bulk will be at the upper 50%...if that makes sense? :wideyed:

also maybe adjust the height of the 3 main branches as there on a similar plane.

just remember wayne, a good planting scheme will change everything.

later matey :D

I like the wood, though the far left piece looks a little different from the others, but that could just be the way it looks in the photos.

As to the rocks I think it might look better if the larger rocks are in the centre with the smaller rocks looking they've broken away from the main parts, a bit like the island idea Mark said. Good job though.

What are the plans for the planting?

It looks a bit...weird to me. I think it would definately be better if you went for a more island scape, e.g. the wood positioned how it is, but more central and together, rocks holding them in place on top of and around the base

Also, as has been said, the left piece is kind of distracting because it looks different from the others, but it might just be the photo. You could always overcome this by covering the wood with moss, but once the tank is full of water this might not be an issue. Also, the large clump of wood far right is distracting, because it's too upright and stands out too much ATM i think but I don't think it'll be an issue once plants are in

saintly said:
firstly, can i say it was nice to meet you wayne at the ukaps meet. :D

ok, for me i'd try to make more of an island with the stones making up the base. thats not to say what youve done is wrong BTW...its not!.ultimately, it depends on the planting scheme whether certain arrangements work. id maybe push the whole thing back a tad?...it lacks that sense of depth IMO....unless of course you plan on stuffing the back with plants. remember you dont need acres of room at the back for stems as the bulk will be at the upper 50%...if that makes sense? :wideyed:

also maybe adjust the height of the 3 main branches as there on a similar plane.

just remember wayne, a good planting scheme will change everything.

later matey :D

Howdy Mark! It was a pleasure to meet you as well mate along with all the other UKaps posse :D
I was thinking of trying an island scape but kinda went off track a bit :lol: with the end result being what i posted earlier.
There's no rush with this scape, I'm not gonna get it running until mid january maybe so there's plenty of time for me to work out the kinks.

Cheers Wayne,

Ed Seeley said:
I like the wood, though the far left piece looks a little different from the others, but that could just be the way it looks in the photos.

As to the rocks I think it might look better if the larger rocks are in the centre with the smaller rocks looking they've broken away from the main parts, a bit like the island idea Mark said. Good job though.

What are the plans for the planting?

Thankyou Ed,
The far left piece is slightly different as in it does'nt look as aged as the others do. I'll have a play with the rockwork tomorrow and as far as planting goes i was thinking of the usual crypts and ferns in the midground, either a riccia or flame moss foreground and for the background i'm thinking of rotala walachii (spelling?) and some small leaf stems :?

Thomas McMillan said:
It looks a bit...weird to me. I think it would definately be better if you went for a more island scape, e.g. the wood positioned how it is, but more central and together, rocks holding them in place on top of and around the base

Also, as has been said, the left piece is kind of distracting because it looks different from the others, but it might just be the photo. You could always overcome this by covering the wood with moss, but once the tank is full of water this might not be an issue. Also, the large clump of wood far right is distracting, because it's too upright and stands out too much ATM i think but I don't think it'll be an issue once plants are in

Cheers Thomas,
your probably right about the right side , I'll have a play with it tomorrow and see what i can come up with, maybe use some different rocks as i've got loads of the stuff :lol: .

Thank again guys I really appreciate your views

Regards Wayne,

Hi Wayney,it was great to see you again mate,like i said if we are meeting at TGM just pm me and you can tag along with us,Right as for your aquascape i can only second what has already been said(especially by saintly) but with the wood and rocks you have i think you have the makings of something very good,you just need to find something YOU like the look of,take care see ya soon john.

john starkey said:
Hi Wayney,it was great to see you again mate,like i said if we are meeting at TGM just pm me and you can tag along with us,Right as for your aquascape i can only second what has already been said(especially by saintly) but with the wood and rocks you have i think you have the makings of something very good,you just need to find something YOU like the look of,take care see ya soon john.

Hi John, It was great to see you again as well matey 8) . I did'nt know if i was gonna do another tank or not but the day at TGM has given me the buzz again and now I'm looking forward to starting this one :D

Thanks again John
Best wishes
Wayne,

Hi Wayne,

We have found that the longer that we live with the "dryscape" the more scope there is for tweaks untill we get that gut feeling that things are right and are ready to plant. Getting there though and would love to see the progress.

Great to see you on the day as well and look forward to meeting you again,

All the very best,

Jim and Mark.

George has said exactly what I was thinking albeit in a very 'well spoken' way ;)

The first thing I noticed when I saw your pic was the rocks. Not the type of rock etc but that they all have exactly the same gap between them, almost mosaic!!!

I have to bow down to the others on the rest though because apart from noticing straight forward things I am no scaper and tend to just bang it in and let it grow :lol:

AC

Wow :D Thanks for all your replies peeps, i really value your input and help 8). I've tried so many different layouts today that i have'nt had time to take any pictures :lol: , a few of them have been half decent but nothing special though.

Thanks again guys
Wayne,

you've got it in you wayne. i seem to remember that iwagumi you did prior?...that was a good use of stones. i know this is different and all....stick at it mate.

saintly said:
you've got it in you wayne. i seem to remember that iwagumi you did prior?...that was a good use of stones. i know this is different and all....stick at it mate.

Cheers Mark, the gumi was pretty much down to beginners luck really :rolleyes: but I was quietly pleased with it though :p

Here's another layout that's a bit ...... well different I suppose :lol:
001-15.jpg

006-7.jpg

007-6.jpg

Cheers,

Garuf said:
Looks nice, make sure all the wood faces the same way though ;)

Cheers matey, I did try it all the same way but it looked a bit too obvious if that makes sense :? :lol:

Goodygumdrops said:
Different is GOOD!!!I like!!It's so hard to be different.I can see that whorling round,flowing clockwise.

Thankyou very much :oops: ;) Still early days yet though

Cheers,

Keep it if you like it, to me it reads all wrong, it creates a "tension" that I don't think benefits the scape.
That's not to say it can't be made to work but I'd want to have it going the same way as the main wood.

Looking back,you could maybe try angling the bit on the left more towards the back so that the whole thing flows (do you know what I mean?).The wood would still be pointing in viewed from the front,but viewed from above,following,like I said,a clockwise pattern,or current if you can imagine it?
I can see a path,starting at the front,just below the point of the wood and the small rock,arcing round to pass through the far left rock and main rock past the right hand side of the single piece of wood.
Just my opinion,and as I've said already today,I'm not an aquascaper,no harm trying it and trying to visualise it planted though.

Back