• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critter I.D please. help me Darrell.

Mark Evans

Expert
I've noticed these things for some time now, and wondered what they are. There tiny and sway in the water. I stumbled across them whilst taking pics of snail eggs.

IMG_7406comp.jpg

and heres the snail eggs

IMG_7403comp.jpg

No one looks like a hydra, I had them initially in my nano but my rainbows soon saw them off.

I wouldn't be too keen on being overrun with hydra. Theyre basically a type of jellyfish that never progresses to the adult life stage, and they'll apparantly predate juvenile fish/shrimp. This is going off internet wisdom, I've never had them myself.

It's my understanding they take fry and the tiniest of shrimps but I never saw it. I had m. preacox and they actively hunted them out till the point even if I tried I couldn't find any.

They Do Look cool, I would love some of these just see them hunt the daphnia i have.

I have had hydra before.

Nothing to worry about to be fair. I think at epidemic proportions, they may cause irritation to skin or maybe fish.

As for them taking small shrimp and fish. I very much doubt that the hydra we see can take hold of anything except zooplankton like cyclops and daphnia - probably only their young.

Have a read of this - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydra_(genus)

Hi all,
Lovely photo, you can really see the green symbiotic photosynthetic algae in the "arms". As every-one has already said definitely Hydra. I think of them as little fresh water corals (may-be a sales opportunity on Ebay?) - <http://cas.bellarmine.edu/tietjen/images/cnidarians.htm>.

I tend to ignore them unless I have really tiny fry (Gourami/ Rainbow Fish sized), and if you don't feed much in the way of Daphnia or BBS they tend to decline. I was looking for some the other day, there used to be some in the lab. tanks, but since I haven't kept fish (just Shrimps) or fed live food they have declined and I couldn't find any.

cheers Darrel

Back