• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CRS baby! Now with pic of babies & my advance filter! lol

Re: CRS baby! Now with pic of babies & my advance filter! lo

Congratulations on the crs baby's mate. Didn't know there colouring that strong so quickly.

Do you mist the plants floating at all? How much do you sell them for?

no misting. :) Just grow them out in the air open to UK atmospheric pressure. It's doable contradictory to what alot of people believe. I did it very gradually and still I was getting burnt leaves on some more delicate plants such as anubias and the crypts. But once it's adapted, it grew just fine. With this setup, I only change water once every 2-3 weeks and sometimes 4 weeks if I can't be bother. lol

the price I sold them depends on the pot and the type of plants. The eleocharis sp. Japan might go for fiver a pot and the echinodorus maybe 4 quid and HC maybe 3. It depends on the ease of growing and the speed that they grow. Just a little something to cover the cost of my fertiliser and electricity. lol.

Wow! I too did not reliase they have such strong colours at such a young age. Looks very cute lol

They are congregating at the feeding site so frequently now that they look so adorable when they are all together. :)

congratulations, there nice

Tried a baby fry saver kinda cage and annihilated a group of baby shrimp!!! It's a plastic frame with netting clothes stretch over the outside of it to form a cage. Got all the baby shrimp in it and then 10 minutes later return to find loads of babies stucked between the mesh and plastic frame!!! I was so gutted and sick looking at the CRS baby cannibalising on the other siblings. Think I must have lost about 10 or so babies!

by some complete co-incidence of ambient temp in my edinburgh flat on my un heated CRS tank i have my first pregnant female from my tiny group of 6.

now i'm a bit worried about my over filteration eheim 2213 on a 24L arc tank with glassware inlet..... possibly need to add a sponge pre filter......

definitely something worth doing. The baby are so small!

Daniel
Im really interested to know your water params -
I just wanted to get some opinion on my CRS / CBS setup. Im using ADA Amazonia II substrate, planted well with simple Anubia's, Vallis and Java moss and fern. I have a sizeable chunk of bogwood in there too. Tank is approx 50L and currently houses approx 30 CRS and 20 CBS.

I live in a hard water area on the South coast and have been a Malawi keeper/breeder for many years which suits them just fine however CRS/CBS require more exacting parameters and in particular lower PH GH and KH. Currently my tap stats read as follows:

PH 7.5
GH 6
KH 16

Im using a sponge filter and simply dont seem to be able to lower my PH. Ive turned to introducing rain water but although my shrimp are berried regularly the young simply dont survive. I have today bought some RO water and changed approx 5 Litres, ill repeat over the next week. I have read much in regard to Mosura products: CRS FOOD, EXCEL, MINERAL PLUS, SHRIMP TONIC and OLD SEA MUD - all of which have rave reviews and are said to be a MUST by the pro Japanese breeders. Im very keen to learn how I get my CRS/CBS shrimpletts to survive....?

Hi all,
I've turned to introducing rain water
You'll probably find that your rain water is much more alkaline than you would expect, I live in Wiltshire (NE of Bath) and the rain is about 75 - 100 microS in the winter, and often higher than that in the summer. The only time our rain water has been anywhere near "distilled" was last year immediately after we had the heavy snow.

cheers Darrel

Hmmm I don't think it's a must but recommended by breeder. My ph is 6.5 and the nitrate, ammonia, nitrite off the tap is 0. Temperature 24 degree. The plant on top takes up some nutrient so I try not to change water at all if possible besides topping up. I only change water if I feed a lot to the shrimps. Otherwise, it's a self sufficient shrimp tank. To be honest, many of my shrimp probably die as well as I've seen 6 batch of pregnant shrimp and theoretically speaking I should have 200+ shrimps but I've counted only 70 no matter how hard I tried. So I'm assuming the rest probably didn't make it.

I've read a couple of blogs etc and I guess what I have gathered for fry shrimp survival is water pram but also oxygen! In terms of mosura, I used the miniral plus and I think that must have triggered sexy time because I have 2x crs and 1x cbs and she is now carrying eggs...

Is your ph 6.5 off the tap or 6.5 in your tank because of amazonia?

6.5 with amazonia but then the amazonia is nearly 2 years old.

So by changing water using only RO now I have managed to reduce my KH/GH from 6/16 to 3/4 but PH remains around 7.5 ish. My shrimp are berried but still no sign of the littleuns surviving. Do I need a mineral supplement and what would be the best to use, where would I buy from in the UK?

Back