• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

CRS new tank

okay, seems to tally with what some others are saying online.
instead of being ripped of by some fancy packaging, what GH boosters do people use?
how much do you dose to get the magic 6 GH? (grams per 10l of water) or similar

okay, seems to tally with what some others are saying online.
instead of being ripped of by some fancy packaging, what GH boosters do people use?
how much do you dose to get the magic 6 GH? (grams per 10l of water) or similar

I use mosura mineral plus :)

Always used Mosura Mineral plus without any issues. More recently switched to Salty Shrimp. It's in crystal form so needs dissolving before you can add, whereas the Mosura is a liquid so maybe slightly more convenient for dosing. I've had good results with both brands though, but I do like the Salty Shrimp range and they seem highly popular.

Hi Nick,
your most important tool for successful crs keeping will be a TDS meter, id invest in one of those before anything else. Test your tap water, you may be lucky and have low tds water straight from the tap which can be remineralised to suit. If not then remineralised RO is the way to go and the salty shrimp gh+ is great stuff (ive used it religiously throughout my CRS venture which you can read about via the link in my signature if you choose). You could initially also buy RO water from a local aquatics retailer rather than splash out on an RO unit of your own (its about £2-3 for 25litres). If you dont have a large tank its a small weekly outlay. Long term it will be cost effective and convenient to produce your own, but maybe try out the crs keeping first see if you like it :)

Active soils help with stability as mentioned by others, but the key is suitable clean water and good tank husbandry, keep regular water changes and filter cleaning and youll be good, i started with 10 shrimplets and now have hundreds :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

well i have a 21x21x21 cube so its not a small tank. with a TT ex1200 to filter and a hydor eth 300. i will swap the new filter with one of my other two on the mbuna tank so it will be cycled.

i went and splashed out on a 50 gpd RO unit, and a handheld TDS meter so i can do it properly from the start.
i will get some ebi gold, salty shrimp and begin to set up!

i need a good back ground plant for the tank, i want to do crypts as a midground and maybe use c.parva as a foreground which means the shrimp still have good access to the substrate underneath, yet still have broad leaves to chow on!

what do people suggest?
low tec, probably easy carbo and TPN+ daily.

lighting is a clip on led with about 22 small leds. (does that mean 22w output?) (3 or 5w energy consumption i believe)

Rolymo - Pelia is another that does well low tech. I don't use any ferts or co2 either and it does just fine, along with my other neglected mosses :)

i plan to add very tiny amounts, just enough to give them something to help them along.

still unsure what to put at the back of the tank! to go with the crypts

hi all,

have had alot of financial issues which has stopped me from buying the shrimp, (new engine, gearbox, clutch, flywheel, cambelt for the car). However 8 SSS mosuras should be arriving tommorow.
have checked the tank today, done a small 15% W/C (dont want to upset the balance now) and checked all the stats.

TDS is 115 (normally rises slightly every day)
KH is 0.5
GH is 4
Temp is 22C

tank has been home to 3 ottos for about 6 weeks now who have been keeping it algae free nicely and have little fat bellies.

I have an assortment of shrimp food

Catappa leaves
collected dried oak leaves
banana leaves
alder cones

baby shrimp powder
5 variety mix pellets

should i put some leaves in now before the shrimp arrive to have more favourable conditions?
if so what should i add?

tank had bogwood and various crypts, anubias and java fern for natural food.
dosing small amounts of ferts and liquid carbon but growth is slow and steady.

1ZYZUOg.jpg

Attachments

• 1ZYZUOg.jpg
    1ZYZUOg.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 90
48hrs in and i still have all 8 shrimp so im very happy there.

some of mine have an almost transparent body instead of white. is this normal and they should colour up or have i got poor quality SSS mosuras?

cheers

If they stay transparent they are low quality or very not happy!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

cant see why they wouldnt be happy

all params are perfect, theyre all feeding, plenty of live plants and bio film and shelter.

il give them another day and if theyre still washed out there will be a grumpy email being sent. when youve paid a tenner for something so small it has to be good!

I could sell you some good coloured mosura for half that :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

wish i had known before, i dont come on forums alot now.
still very translucent bodies with blotchy white patches, the young ones i have are ok colour, nothing fantastic. to say im dissapointed is an understatement. just a shame i cant take them back and get a full refund.
look more like an A/S grade in terms of colour intensity

I think you can get low, med and high standard in any of the grades. Alot of the online sellers will say what standard their shrimp are. Even prls come in low med or high. most of my A grade banded shrimp have the intense white and red or black and red of higher grade shrimp.

well having contacted them and recieved a very unhelpful and blunt reply saying what do you expect for the money and that theyre 'too cheap'. I am DISGUSTED by this and having spent 200 quid with one of our sponsors (1/4 of my monthly wage so its alot of money for me).

Let this be a lesson to others.

Get some pics of your shrimps up, lets see the quality you get for a tenner.......

Back