• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crypt Plantin

I'm going to be buying some Crypts soon for my tank, and want to do it properly. So, here's what I gather is the best way to plant them:

- Remove the rockwool from the roots
- Split the plant into plantlets - a few stems on each plantlet
- Cut the roots back to about an inch
- Plant in the substrate

Correct? ;)

Yep.

Hold them by the rhizome (if there is one) or where the roots join the leaves with tweezers, push them deep into the substrate, and then gently pull them back up by the leaves until the crown is level with the substrate (ie just visible).

Be prepared for them to go a bit 'silly' for a while, but don't worry - they seem to spend a while working on roots etc. before they start making nice new leaves and runners.

Good luck,

Mark

All good advice there.

They love Aqua Soil BTW.

I planted around 50 Tropica pots into my 370 litre, 3+ months ago in a non-CO2 set up, and the C. balansae has grown from 8cm to 50cm already! Dosing 'lean' qtys. of Easy-Life Easycarbo, Profito and TPN+.

I echo what's above. The deeper you can pit them in the substrate the better.
I remember putting a crypt in for a few weeksand then moved it, when I put them in there was the usual inch of root but when I piled it out it has a root system of about 6 inches. Whilst the plant above the substrate didn't grow much and melted, itvshoes that crypts take time to establish their root system first and if you can help them with some root fertilisation then they'll establish really quickly.

I also remove any damaged leaves or any that aren't connected to the roots strongly.

The best method to reduce the possibility of crypt melt is to reduce lighting for a few weeks so that the plant has enough time to settle. Then if you do get melt, cut off any leaf straight as you noticed any signs of discolouration and or holes. As the sooner you get them out the better.

For visual effect if you plant in clumps of works well of you not prepared to wait for new growth.

I would say that in my tank after about three weeks you'll notice new growth shooting through and then your onto a winner!

Back