• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crypto undulata red versus wendtii

tiger15

How can you tell the difference between Crypto wendtii red from undulata. For a long time, I thought I had wendtii, but I’m not sure now as pics of undulata look similar and it is described as belonging to the wendtii family. There is also wendtii tropica that looks similar. I guess unless you grow them side by side, it’s hard to tell the difference. The one wendtii that stands out in color is flamingo. I want to try it but heard that it is a difficult plant.

Attachments

• ADB3B130-3B26-451C-A063-F7081D521EAA.jpeg
    ADB3B130-3B26-451C-A063-F7081D521EAA.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 336
I am growing undulatus red and wendtii (which was sold as a green variant) in the same tank and I still can’t tell the difference. I suspected the undulatus didn’t take off but I am not sure.

How can you tell the difference between Crypto wendtii red from undulata. For a long time, I thought I had wendtii, but I’m not sure now as pics of undulata look similar and it is described as belonging to the wendtii family. There is also wendtii tropica that looks similar. I guess unless you grow them side by side, it’s hard to tell the difference.
I have several Crypts in my tanks. Some are really hard to ID - I pretty much just go with the ID they were bought as and sort of try to remember where I put them. Not an easy approach :)
The one wendtii that stands out in color is flamingo. I want to try it but heard that it is a difficult plant.

I had C. flamingo on a couple of occasions and they just never made it in my low-tech tanks. They would struggle from the get go, slowly loose leaves and eventually just die off.

Cheers,
Michael

I had C. flamingo on a couple of occasions and they just never made it in my low-tech tanks.
I’m growing one of these low tech, and it’s doing fine - at least I think it’s a flamingo, it came in a swap from @ScareCrow, so please correct me! It’s not super pink where it currently is, but it’s definitely growing.

I’m growing one of these low tech, and it’s doing fine - at least I think it’s a flamingo, it came in a swap from @ScareCrow, so please correct me! It’s not super pink where it currently is, but it’s definitely growing.
It was labelled as flamingo when I bought it and has grown. When it gets into the light it turns a nice pink but at the moment mine is in a very dark spot.
I think a lot of the problems with crypts like flamingo is that they're often tissue cultured and struggle to transition. When I bought the original plant it was already in immersed form and there was no melting or transition to immersed growth required.

I got Crypt undulata red from tropica 1-2 grow in my tank (high tech) and it seems to be growing two different leaf types - red and green.

Hi all,
and it seems to be growing two different leaf types - red and green.
I wouldn't worry, if the new leaves are green, and I'm guessing it is the new ones, there could be two reasons for that:
Or some combination of both factors. When the <"one, or other, or both"> goes away? The leaves will be back to red.

cheers Darrel

Back