• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cryptocoryne affinis - Brown

Marcus_F

Hi all,

i have two Cryptocoryne affinis which melted on arrival but now growing well after 6 weeks but the leaves as they grow turn brown. They seem healthy, growing larger. New leaves are green to begin with. Is it just a lovely variety I have or is there an issue?

EF46F7D3-6837-4F69-AD75-C96F9C5EA767.jpeg

Looks like a very nice variety to me. Where did you get that from I haven’t seen it before.

Last edited:
Hi, it doesn't look like Affinis to me , more like Albida brown.
My Affinis have much longer stems but can have variations in colour.
I'm not an expert but have had the Affinis 40+ years. The Albida brown vary between greenish to rusty and have mottling. Not great photos :( the Albida needs a trim.
Did you get your plants from another hobbyist?
Cheers
John

sketch-1616256543724.png
sketch-1616256399060.png

A
Hi all,

i have two Cryptocoryne affinis which melted on arrival but now growing well after 6 weeks but the leaves as they grow turn brown. They seem healthy, growing larger. New leaves are green to begin with. Is it just a lovely variety I have or is there an issue?

View attachment 165196
All new/fresh leaves will be lighter in colouration!
Crypt Albida is the most slow growing crypt I've ever encountered even flamingo grows quicker!
That plants looks like Crypt affinis metallic.
hoggie

I got it from aqua essentials and was labelled as Cryptocoryne affinis and I’m not knowledgable enough to question them.

A

All new/fresh leaves will be lighter in colouration!
Crypt Albida is the most slow growing crypt I've ever encountered even flamingo grows quicker!
That plants looks like Crypt affinis metallic.
hoggie

Flamingo does very well with root tabs i only recently added some and i have had an explosion of growth. I would say mine grows fairly fast especially if it isn't shaded.

Should I be adding root tabs to help them? Not done so to date. Do have some Tropica ones but wasn’t sure as they are pricy from what I remember so avoided keep adding them. Also not sure how long they last

The problem with crypts is they can vary so much in morphology from tank to tank and even within the same tank. You can place the same species in the same tank but have one in shade and one in the open in bright light and it will look completely different. For example I have purchased cryptocoryne nurii from @GHNelson a couple of times, it comes to me with quite long slightly upright stems and olive leaves. Within a few weeks it is laying flat on my substrate and is much darker in colouration.

cheers

The problem with crypts is they can vary so much in morphology from tank to tank and even within the same tank. You can place the same species in the same tank but have one in shade and one in the open in bright light and it will look completely different. For example I have purchased cryptocoryne nurii from @GHNelson a couple of times, it comes to me with quite long slightly upright stems and olive leaves. Within a few weeks it is laying flat on my substrate and is much darker in colouration.

Hi
Yes, indeed....those nurii are growing under subdued lighting with low levels of Co2 dosing and fertilization.
Those crypts are young runners....but the mother plant will have the exact leaf/growth habits as you have outlined!
hoggie

Last edited:
Hi all,

View attachment 165196
Hi
Can you post a image of the underside of one of the leaves!
hoggie

Hi
Can you post a image of the underside of one of the leaves!
hoggie
Sure here you go, it’s the closest and largest leave. Angle makes it look like it could be the top but it’s not, it’s the underneath.

28F086AE-1016-4596-995E-8E12B171AE94.jpeg

Hi
Its probably to early to identify at this moment based on that image..... but if the underside turns burgundy red its probably affinis if the leaves have a bullate nature!
Like this below;)
1616269498977.png

hoggie

I have this C. "affinis" too. I do not believe it is a C. affinis.... and defenitely none of the true C. affinis types, I have encountered over time.
Growth habit and -speed, combined with other features, strongly indicate this is a C. wendtii variety. BUT... I have not had flowers yet, so these are just (strong) indications!!
The described development of leaf-colour is exactly like my specimens.
- it is a lovely, relatively small, nicely coloured, adaptable, tolerant and healthy growing Cryptocoryne..... whatever species it turns out to be!!

Back