• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cryptocoryne aponogetifolia

fz1ben

Hello guys

Does anyone have or know where I can get hold of this plant please?

Cheers

C. usteriana is not as "hard water" toletant, as is C. aponogetifolia (both species have been mixd up in the past, though). There seem to be (at least) 3 recognized variations of C. usteriana, of which one is allmost all green (two others have very nice wine-red leaves on underside). C. aponogetifolia is allways all green.
C. usteriana, too, is a quite tall Cryptocoryne, and defenitely worth a try.......
If you have to choose only one, and can purchase it, you should go for C. aponogetifolia.....

Asking around on forums - especially Cichlid forums - should really bring results, since it is a fast reproducing specie to those who keep it.

Yeah I saw this one too but the di scription seems vague

I have a few of these I they keep Tropheus company, I keep them in ceramic pots with small round pebbles, the tanks have sand substrate, the Cryptocoryne aponogetifolia have spread into the sand and are doing well
I purchased them in Germany

Following on from post in 2016

I am predominantly a fish keeper, I have been keeping tropheus for 20 yrs, I introduced cryptocoryne aponegentipholia in august 2015, with one large plant in each tank, they did well, pH 8.4 temp 26.5, gH12 kH14, no added nutrition, the fish did minimal damage to the plants, fry (8-12mm), congregated amonst the stems, which was nice to see, as generally they hide in rockwork, and are only seen darting in and out for food. At that time i was visiting Cichlidenstadl 2 or 3 times a year, in February 2016 I purchased another 8 plants and distributed these amongst the tanks. Over the years the plants have multiplied, i have sold a few to friends.

One benefit of plants in a tropheus set up is that the females seem more confident in releasing the fry, this has resulted in more fry.

Since last September i have had ongoing problems with lighting, continuous problems with arcadia “waterproof”😂😂😂 t5 tube connectors, and failing ballasts, in March 2021, this led me to the purchase of Fluval 3.0 59w lights, very happy with these, the plants had suffered during the lighting issues, but are now recovering. At the time of researching the led lighting, i became interested in some additional plants, as is sometimes the case, i got rather carried away

I purchased cryptocoryne wendtii mi oya, and wendtii green geko, from Eastern Europe (via the rainforest site), i was unsure of what i would recieve, although my communications with the seller were positive, and this made me hopeful that all would be well. I received very nice bunches of healthy plants, with good strong roots, i planted two of each, in each tank and 3 of each in my “hospital” tank, all have done well. At the time of planting, I added some fertilser pellts adjacent to each group of plants. Several days after planting, and once i had observed that the tropheus were not treating the plants as food (these fish are rather belligerent in nature, they will tear chunks out of plants for fun, attempt to move rocks that interfere with their view of the world, and occasionally tear chunks out of each other), I decided on a few more plants, I purchased wendti tropica, and cryptocoryne usiya, from birstal, these were of course potted and the usual tropica quality

I planted them (sans pots) in groups, leaving plenty of space between groups. The usiya in one tank were shredded, within days, so I moved what was left, to the “hospital”tank, i am now thinking of adding some cherry shrimp to the “hospital” tank, as i haven’t needed to use it as such for a few years, it’s currently housing assorted cryptocoryne’s and a small amount of java moss, i exchange 50% of the water twice a week, with water from the tropheus tanks, I fitted a new fluorescent tube to this tank, and the lighting has improved fantastically, the old tube was around 10 yrs old,

Hopefully this will work as a planted tank

Back