• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cryptolith

OllieNZ

Hi All,
I'm going to be starting a new shrimp tank very soon so I thought I'd get my journal under way.
The tank is 610x350x320mm (lxdxh). I'm going to be using an Arcadia CS60F LED luminaire and eheim ecco for the filter.
Its going to be another low tech affair and I have an idea for the scape already.
Got sent this from my tank builder today
received_m_mid_1386839150333_97d57591a83f333223_0_zps2d0df96c.jpg
So should be arriving soon:) .

I've done a quick review on the luminaire Arcadia CS60F, mini review. | UK Aquatic Plant Society for those who haven't seen it yet.

Reinforced the cabinet, drilled holes for the light (just need shorter screws) and had a cheeky scape in the space.
2013-12-15195424_zpsf5fe4b37.jpg
Still need to cut a hole in the back for the filter pipes.

Looks great, the tank looks much bigger than the measurements suggest Watching with interest
Thanks Mark.
I need to cover the back and sides of the tank to hide the wood so It may end up looking smaller.
Dont keep us in suspense ollie. What plans have you got for the layout
I've changed the title if that helps;)

Nice tank & unit

What's going on with the long side to the right of that picture? It looks taller than the others by maybe 20mm

Nice tank & unit

What's going on with the long side to the right of that picture? It looks taller than the others by maybe 20mm
25 actually, well spotted that man. Its the front and is that much taller so it meets the shelf above to stop little fingers posting things into the tank. I'll be putting a strip of frosted vinyl along the top and bottom

25 actually, well spotted that man. Its the front and is that much taller so it meets the shelf above to stop little fingers posting things into the tank. I'll be putting a strip of frosted vinyl along the top and bottom

How do you get into the tank then? Sounds like a chore!

Tank arrived Tuesday, applied the vinyl Wednesday and installed the tank, equipment and scaped last night
The installation
IMG_1181_zpsb496af3a.jpg

The soil base John Innes no 3
IMG_1182_zps7a51539a.jpg

The monolith and gravel added.
IMG_1183_zpsaff24d57.jpg

The wood creates a border to an area of sand but it is currently floating as it was kind of a last minute addition and not originally planned so not pre soaked.
That's all the piccies I took last night as it was getting late, I will try do an update at some point over the weekend with a proper fts.

Hi All,
Sat down and took a FTS last night
4_zpsc2b657bb.jpg
Still waiting for the wood to sink:(
It was my first proper attempt a using fully manual on the camera (eos 1100) and I noticed the indicator on the exposure scale kept jumping about. Is this the camera trying to tell me whether I'm under/over exposing the image?

Reactions: tim
Well it's been a while but no one said low tech is fast. It's ticking along nicely with minimal input I moved some more crypts in from my 120 for a bit of contrast and must say how much more their colouration stands out under this light as opposed to the daylight bulb in the 120
IMG_1646_zpsdf00893a.jpg

Well this is coming down in a couple of weeks. It has to have been truly the easiest tank I've ever run, I've not had to clean the glass at all for at least the last 2 months and the moss has gone mental.
Here's a final pic it's had some extras lobbed in from my other tank that I've just taken down.
IMG_2089_zps16e231ef.jpg

Back