• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crypt's Palace

Crypts01.jpg

3 years old and still going! This tank has been very neglected at times, and the TDS has been through the roof! I've been bringing that down with RO water since I bought a unit for another project, but it shoots back up very fast - so I wonder if the soil that I used all those years ago might have something to do with it and not just me topping up with London tap water over and over.

Shrimps and guppies still breeding away though. I think the one reason the tank has survived all the neglect is the Monstera plant that now has roots spreading all through it (too much and starting to crowd out the submersed plants recently).

Crypts02.jpg

Please take a look at the thread I just started regarding getting my new project off the ground (hopefully a larger tank along these lines) because I've hit a serious problem that I could use advice on.

tankcrack02.jpg

Update on the cracked tank: I got my refund and was about to take the tank apart when I decided I should give a local glazier a call and ask about a piece of float glass to completely replace the broken back pane. I got a piece cut, and I had the old piece cut down to make a partial cover for the tank (I removed it using dental floss to cut the silicone and it was pretty easy.) All for £16. So, when my £4 worth of silicone arrives I'll find out if I can make a Signature 600 for £20.

Not sure where I'll put it though, since in the meantime my girlfriend and I decided it was too large for that room anyway and I ordered a Dennerle 60l cube instead. Currently I'm playing with the idea of making a nano-reef from this and replacing Crypts Palace with the Signature (which might require me to reinforce the table it sits on).

I've now made two attempts at siliconing a new panel onto the Signature 600. Each time I've had micro bubbles appearing in the join when the tank is filled and it looked like it would not hold for long (though no actual leaks). The second time I reckon I did the best job that I am capable of so I am throwing in the towel for now.

If I can find somewhere to store the tank than I may keep it until the weather is warm and I can more easily cure joins and test for leaks. Or I might cut my losses and get rid altogether. Nevermind, I've learned more than I wanted to know about silicone sealant (still not enough) and lots of respect for cleanly built tanks that don't leak.

05.jpg

Full re-scape I did on Crypts Palace just before Christmas.

I removed all the Cheeseplant roots that were choking the substrate and I also removed the Polystyrene that was bulking out the substrate. Big, muddy job!

I added a Par 38 36w 6500k LED in a modified Ikea lamp. The bulb is choked down with a plug-in dimmer to less than half power.

01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg

07.jpg

And here's the start of a new tank. I went quite far down the path of setting up a nano reef in this (check eBay now if you want a bargain on an AI Prime light!) but I decided that for now I can't afford the time, money, and stress it would require. At the moment I'm planning Riccardia, Fissidens, Bolbitis, and maybe Blyxa for this one. Lighting will hopefully be the new Kessil A80, which I've ordered with the free mounting bracket from sponsor Aqua Essentials.

Planning to try moving the CO2 over to this tank and dimming the lights on Crypts palace even more and just use Liquid Carbon on that.

08.jpg

Last edited:
kitchen tank March.jpg

Crypts Palace new layout doing surprisingly well with just liquid carbon. Glass needs cleaning and a few bolbitis areas struggling (others fine). The brightness of the light is for the photo only, I keep it less than half this bright. Lots of daylight still though.

New tank from the previous post now has its own journal. Roots and Lava v2 (link in my signature)..

Back