Crystal Black Shrimp Grade A

Discussion in 'Aqua Essentials' started by Aqua Essentials, 4 Sep 2008.

1. Aqua Essentials

Aqua Essentials Sponsor Staff Member

2. aaronnorth

aaronnorth Member

are these the same as CRS but black?

What is the difference between bublebee shrimp and these then? Will you be getting any suluwesi?

3. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

Shame these cost a fortune too

4. Aqua Essentials

Just like CRS but black instead of red

Bumblebee shrimp have poor colouration in comparison

Suluwesi will be available in the future with Aqua Essentials. No date set though

5. Aqua Essentials

Pricing is a very personal issue but we understand they are not cheap like cherries for example.

6. Wolfenrook

Wolfenrook Member

I understand that pricing is decided by the person selling a shrimp, and if people buy at these prices. However that said £14.99 for even A grade black bee shrimp is high (CBS are just good quality black bee shrimp after all) when you consider that you can purchase the same shrimp for 8 Eur from Germany.

I am very interested in buying Sulawesi shrimp from a UK source, however if your mark up mirrors that of black bees I think I will have to look elsewhere.

Aaron, CBS (also known as black bee, crystal black and black diamond shrimp) are the exact same species of shrimp as CRS, Caridina cf. cantonensis 'bee', whereas bumblebee shrimp (also known as hummel shrimp and new bee shrimp) are Caridina cf. breviata 'bumblebee', a different species. Bumblebee shrimp have more variable colouration, with the dark stripes varying between shades of red, brown and black. Bumblebee shrimp are also not known to hybridise with bee shrimp or tiger shrimp.

Ade

7. Aqua Essentials

Retail price is defined by a variety of factors, and quite often the major factor is actually paying to import live products legally. I suspect when consumers buy direct from Germany, they are doing so 'under the radar' so to speak.

Buying legitimately always increases prices, as does trading business to business due to overheads etc. If hobbyists buy direct from a hobbyist in Germany, then good savings can be made. However, it's not viable to do this when you run a business. Although we are always looking to reduce prices, it's very difficult to compete with those who sell goods for pocket money.

8. Wolfenrook

Wolfenrook Member

Well I will be watching with interest to see the pricing you set for the Sulawesi shrimp you are getting. I have been looking for a closer source of cardinal shrimp for quite a while now, but am only really willing to pay within the normal price band these usually get retailed for by places like Wildwoods. ;)

Would be good if you could sell some Sulawesi snails for a reasonable price at the same time, reports are that the Sulawesi shrimp varieties are much happier when these are present, I suppose it reminds them of home.

Ade