• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crystal Mountain

Hi Nuno that carpet is crazy! :cool:
Like the 'new' pipes! lol

I found amazing that buces are doing pretty good side by side with cuba!
You really know how to push velocity without loosing control! And i know how quick we can crash a tank (i've crash it a few times!) :banghead:
Time to make a video!

I've to go there to see it before you start other, you really go fast!
cheers

Hahahaha, I've adjusted the Fe dosage, no more rusty pipes,

I really love HC carpets, but I also know they are unforgiving, we have to treat them well, good old stable CO2 is a must, also good lightning and good N source :)

As the tank matures the Bucepahalandras are taking their grip, and now started all to flourish, a good sign of the tank maturity ;)

I try to show you all how I manage things, no secrets here, good old maintenance is the key, I had my handful of crashes also, but took the time to learn from them all...

Don´t worry i have no plans to start over soon, you are more than welcome to came here see it be yourself, and help me with the video :D

Amazing tank!

Thank you Emrah :)

Well the tank is still recovering from last trimm, and now to clean for my taste, it seams it has stabilized with new ferts dosing, and GSA won't be comming back soon :banghead:

Started this last sunday Urea dosing, let's see what happens ;)

Here's it actual state just momments ago :D

30413989555_c2641d2693_k.jpg_MG_2548 by Nuno Matos, on Flickr

Today I will leave you with other kind of photos,

Yesterday arrived 10 Caridina Logemanni Pure Red Line, only have like 1cm but already have stunning colors, will let them grow with their bigger cousins Caridina Japonica ...

It was really hard to get them with my zoom lenses, and had to crop the image so you guys can really see them more close, compare their size to the HC leaves :confused:, really beautiful shrimps really happy on getting them :)

29912075093_0c61b82f82_k.jpgIMG_2565 by Nuno Matos, on Flickr

30457659771_109fac020c_k.jpgIMG_2576 by Nuno Matos, on Flickr

29914717804_41d6567e9b_k.jpgIMG_2583 by Nuno Matos, on Flickr

30428595862_579c7c3755_k.jpgIMG_2585 by Nuno Matos, on Flickr[/quote]

I see you use ph controler in all your setups.And i saw your friends use also.Do you think it helps?What do you think about that?I see beautiful results, but i have little bit doubt about that item ??

Nuno, nice cut!
really likearcuata ,top!

Lovely plant Tiago,

As you could see very hard to control, it grows very wild in this setup, lets see how it will grows after this trimm :)

I see you use ph controler in all your setups.And i saw your friends use also.Do you think it helps?What do you think about that?I see beautiful results, but i have little bit doubt about that item ??

Hi there greedy,

For me is the most precise way to control CO2, but I use it with 2 solenoids, my JBL Proflora has a built in CO2 solenoid, that I programmed as a safety, I never want my pH to drop more than 6,4 (45ppm CO2 dKH4) and the ideal level for +/- 30ppm is around 6.5 pH (35ppm CO2 dKH4), i use the controller just if something goes wrong (Single Stage Regulator on 10kg CO2 industrial bottle) it shut's down CO2 automatically, and I use a second solenoid to night shut off, in this way I have constant readings on pH drop and up, with some fine adjustments on the needle valve I can stabilize the pH right were I want it and keep it constant all day long ;), I counter all this with my drop checker and the colors match the goal I'm aiming for, I think the tank speaks for it self specially the HC carpet, since I use this method, I've had none problems with CO2 targeting :)

Last edited:
You might consider adding some moss(say weeping or mini Xmas) to the wood. Would give a nice feel and "age" the look more.
Big water change and then add moss with super glue gel. Refill 5 minutes later.

I love this tank just as it is :D

There are enough moss on wood aquascapes out there - one of the reasons I like this tank so much is the stunning wood with all it's shadow play & contrast in texture to the plants

You might consider adding some moss(say weeping or mini Xmas) to the wood. Would give a nice feel and "age" the look more.
Big water change and then add moss with super glue gel. Refill 5 minutes later.

Hi there Tom,

For now I will keep it as it is, H. Pinnatifida is starting to take it´s grip on rocks and wood as I intended since the start of this layout, will let it develop more before thinking on adding something else, appreciated your opinion maybe in time I'll add maybe Taiwan Moss (Taxiphyllum Alternans) which I used in other spaces and liked very much or some Mini Coral Moss (Riccardia Chamedryfolia), will see this options on a near future or not ;)

I love this tank just as it is :D

There are enough moss on wood aquascapes out there - one of the reasons I like this tank so much is the stunning wood with all it's shadow play & contrast in texture to the plants

Hi there alto,

Yes for now I'm really liking this wood textures, will let it develop more and will decide in time if I add something else :)

Very beautiful!

I've never been able to shape or grow stems like those. Do the leaves go tatty in the middle of those domes?

Very beautiful!

I've never been able to shape or grow stems like those. Do the leaves go tatty in the middle of those domes?

Hi there rebel,

There's no big secret here, you just have to keep on pruning them frequently, like 2-3cm apart from the last trim ...

For now they are still strong beneath my cutting line, but in time we have to do an inverse trim (cut them from the base near the substrate and plant the tops), the rest is just good water flow good CO2 and ferts ...
Good strong lights also makes them grow more bushier ;)

EPIC, love this tank so much! I want to try some stem plants / domes like that one day, perhaps for my next scape... I have never been great with trimming and replanting stuff the stems always seem to float away along with the struggle to find room next to the existing stems, do you have any tricks for replanting? I am thinking drop the water right down below the substrate level where the stems are planted, guess this would only work if the stems are elevated and livestock have some water at the low level.

EPIC, love this tank so much! I want to try some stem plants / domes like that one day, perhaps for my next scape... I have never been great with trimming and replanting stuff the stems always seem to float away along with the struggle to find room next to the existing stems, do you have any tricks for replanting? I am thinking drop the water right down below the substrate level where the stems are planted, guess this would only work if the stems are elevated and livestock have some water at the low level.

Hi doylecolmdoyle,

Thank you for the kind words ...

First tip we need to have good tweezers, with good grip, when i want to do some stems replanting for me it´s better with water, without a third from being full seems to do the trick quite well ... In this way we have the notion of the stems size underwater and try them all to match in height when replanting, I plant them deep also like, 2-3cm on the substrate, also the way we position the the stems on the tweezers is very important so they don´t get loose ... After the big mess I always do a big water change ... And that's it ;)

I will try to do a video of this procedure when the time comes :)

I will try to do a video of this procedure when the time comes :)

Thanks for the tips, a video would be great, keep up the good work!

Back