• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

cube help please

fishkeeper

Hi all,

Im getting this cube: http://www.animal-paradise.co.uk/catalo ... ucts_id=41

For my substrate im going to be using eco-complete by caribsea. For co2 im going to be using easycarbo and a fermentation co2 set. I also have a 100 watt heater lying around doing nothing as i bought it accidently, should i use this or is it too big? I do have a juwel 50 watt one that was used for my marine nano when it was setup but im not sure if i want to use it as people say visitherm is better and the 100 watt is visitherm?
Im worried about the filter, will it be up to the job as its only 200lph? Im going to hopefully have 8 corys, 10 galaxy rasboras and then cherry shrimp for the stocking with maybe 2 centre piece fish? anyone reccommend?
If the filter is not up to the job, im looking at a fluval U2 filter, has anyone got any oppinions on these? i was looking at an external but the tank now has to go into a different place so no room for an external :(

Id like to have a piece of redmoor root in my tank, but im completely unsure about the plant stocking that i'd like. With my previous tank, i just bought a mixture of them and as they grew i took out the ones i didnt like and now the plants are all good, as this is a smaller tank i dont fell i can do this so its quite annoying. Can anyone reccommend any plants that will compliment redmoor root, eco complete and the stocking that i'd like? The lighting is an 18 watt pl light (i think).

Does everything sound alright?

cheers

Will

In terms of the heater 100w is probably a bit much. Its not that it'll over heat the tank but if it goes wrong and says on, it cook the tank much quicker than say a 25 or 50w heat. So Id be tempted to use the 50w from the marine tank.

Eco-complete is a great substrate and the fermentation CO2 should be adequate for a 40lt tank, you can always use to two to get more if needs be.

I cant comment on the U2 filter but the supplied filter is prob going to be a bit weak. Guess try and see? Replace it later if needs be. Depending on what you want to grow you may want to up the lighting a bit.

Sam

I agree with Sam, go with the smaller heater. The larger one will be fine until it sticks on and as it's oversized it will cycle on and off more regularly too.

I wouldn't go with that heater linked as it has no thermostat. It will constantly heat the water whatever the temperature and in a warm room or during the summer it could contribute towards raising the temperature too high.

thanks for your replies, ill stick with the 50watt heater

Does anyone have any recommendations for plants to have? Ive found the peice of wood im getting and ive ordered it from AE.

Will

Back